Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello, I have not posted in a while, and would appreciate the opinions of those who collect very early GL1000 Goldwings. I am in the happy position of owning two 1975 wings. I have owned one of them since 1978, and it is in great condition except for the non stock paint job I foolishly threw on it in the eighties, since the original antares red paint had faded.
The second GL1000 was a rescue project, and I really want to wind up with just one GL1000 since I have too many other bikes.
Now this is interesting: a few years ago, I amazingly found a complete set on 1975 antares red body panels, still in the factory wrappers, that had been stashed for many years in a barn to fix a wrecked wing, but never used for whatever reason. I paid a fair amount and consider them a treasure, because the radiator wings, shelter panels, everything is there and brand new. So, at some point I always figured I would put these on 1975 wing that I have had all along, and have about as original and desirable early wing as anyone on the planet (new factory original paint, 34 years later..)
Tonight i was looking at my second 75 wing, the rescue job, which I have not paid much attention to for a while. I noticed that its serial number is in the low 3000 range, which makes it really pretty early. The one I have owned since 1978, on the other hand, is in the 17000 range (both have correct engines and solid frames).
I know the value of serial numbers on Z1s and CB750’s, but not on early wings...The low number rescue wing is a bit of a mess but solid, and will take significantly more work to get it all right and original-Like getting rid of the later mag wheels, harley pipes, Magna seat, and so on (Trust me, I got it this way!) Your opinions on the future collector value or significance on a 3000 series wing versus 17000 series wing would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

The value of a CB750 has to do with the sandcast engine versus a diecast engine; first 7414 engines/frames. I don't know if there is a comparison to 'wings and cbs.

On the cbs, it about doubles the value.

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

I do not believe that 3,000 verses 17,000 will make any value added difference at all. Those new panels by themselves however are worth a fortune. For the right person I could easily see them fetch a grand or better.

For early ser numbers to have much effect for the 75 mostly you are talking about 500 and below from what I have seen. The Pre-production models now are a whole nother world!!

If you are real curious send a couple of emails to Pistol Pete Boody and Randakk. They would know for sure.

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
imported post

I agree with Whiskerfish here. Those tins and plastics FAR out value what that bike could ever bring on the open market.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.