Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Salvete omnes!

I am going to adjust the valves on my GL1100 ('83i) this week and have two or three specific questions.

First - my Clymer tells me to rotate the engine to TDC with either the alternator rotor shaft or the kickstarter mechanism. Well, no kickstarter here...so where can I find this rotor shaft? Once found, do I go clockwise or counterclockwise?

Second - I have the cover gaskets, but will I need any sort of grommets for the bolts?

Third - I *just* changed the oil...how much am I going to lose when cracking the covers?

Thanks again!

Jack

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
imported post

The easiest way is to put the bike into gear and rotate the engine that way. Turning the wheel forward = clockwise rotation of the engine. To easily find TDC on each cylinder, remove the plug and plug cap for that cylinder and get someone to ground the plug & cap to the engine while you turn the engine via the wheel (ignition on) with the cam lobes pointing away from the valves. When the plug sparks thats TDC for that cylinder.
You will lose about a cup of oil each side with the rocker covers off. Unless the bolt rubbers are cracked you won't need new ones.

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thank you, gentlemen! I don't have an assistant, so checking for spark may not work so well. Can I assume that I can still check the timing mark inside that little hole on top of the block?

Thanks again!

Jack

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Jason wrote:
Sound advice from Brian. Couldn't have put it better myself. :clapper:
Hey BRowan, I hope you read this from our Top "Guru" :clapper:Very well done. You must be coming close to promotion. :clapper:Merry xmas to you. :santahat:

:santawaving: :18red: :santawaving:

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
imported post

jsmith24 wrote:
Thank you, gentlemen! I don't have an assistant, so checking for spark may not work so well. Can I assume that I can still check the timing mark inside that little hole on top of the block?

Thanks again!

Jack
Jack, the TDC mark will only be at top when cylinder #1 is at TDC on the firing stroke. You will have to look at the position of the cam lobes on #1 at TDC and then replicate that position on the other cylinders to get TDC for each one. Thats why I suggested the spark method. You may not need to have someone holding the plug cap & plug to ground, you can wedge them into position and just watch for the spark as you turn the wheel. You should even be able to hear the plug spark anyway. I sometimes can but other times I can't as my hearing ain't what it used to be! :gunhead:

BTW, thanks Redwing. Praise from both the longest serving guru and the top poster! I'll need a bigger helmet if this keeps up!

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
imported post

That all makes sense Brian. Thanks for clearing that one up. Often wondered how to find TDC on the "other" cylinders.

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

Don't know if that spark method will work... Maybe the 1100 is different, butI know that the GL1000 fires the spark plug on both compression and exhaust strokes (only two coils... there's a wasted spark).

Best way to do it is to take the timing cover off, turn the engine (clockwise if you're turning the alternator) to #1 TDC, check the lobes of the camshaft. If the lobes are turned away from the valves and not putting any pressure on them, adjust the clearance and go from there. If not, turn the crank one more time until they are. Go to #2, adjust the valves, go to #1 again and adjust the valvesfor cylinder 3, then #2 again and adjustfor #4.

Marco,

Ashland, OR

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
imported post

I think Brian has covered that Marco:

...turn the engine via the wheel (ignition on) with the cam lobes pointing away from the valves. When the plug sparks thats TDC for that cylinder...

The wasted spark will be on the cylinder that the lobes are down on the valves I think?

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

BigAl... All I'm saying is that I think that using the spark method only adds to the confusion and adds to the work. It's much easier to simply take one cover off (timing cover), look into the holeand turn the engine.

Much easier (in my opinion) than taking spark plugs out, turning on the ignition, running the battery down, looking/listening for a spark, fire/shock hazard, etc, etc. Why make a mountain out of a molehill?

From >25 years as an aircraft mechanic I learned that keeping it as simple as possible is the best way to do things. Why takeit apart if it's not needed, and risk breaking things? Those heads are made from aluminum, andconstantly removing and replacing spark plugs puts wear on the threads. The spark plug wires are not replaceable without replacing the coils... why flex them more than needed?

Just my opinion - you can take it or leave it.

All the best.

Marco

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
imported post

axelwik wrote:
I learned that keeping it as simple as possible is the best way to do things. Why takeit apart if it's not needed, and risk breaking things?

[align=center]Perfectly spokenaxelwik. Always believe in the KISS Philosophy[/align]

[align=center](Keep It Simple Stupid)[/align]
Kyle

You count your pennis and the dollars will look after themselves!

G

·
0 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

Marco, the plug wires are separate and replaceable from the coils on a GL1100. They push into the coil, and are held in by a compression fitting and plastic nut. I bought new wires and replaced them this year. The old wires were stiff as a board.

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
imported post

Redwing....UUUGGGGHHH!!!!!!

Pennies would be the correct answer. And if it wasn't..it was still spelt wrong!!

Kyle

My you be a 1/2 hour in Heaven before the Devil knows you're dead!

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Kyle wrote:
Redwing....UUUGGGGHHH!!!!!!

Pennies would be the correct answer. And if it wasn't..it was still spelt wrong!!

Kyle

My you be a 1/2 hour in Heaven before the Devil knows you're dead!
Hey Kyle, :waving: What about the spell checkkkk. :clapper:Merry xmas to ya. :santawaving:

:santahat: :18red: :santahat:

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
imported post

[align=center]REDWING!!!!!

LEAVE ME ALONE!!!!!! I HAVEN'T DONE ANYTHING TO YOU!!!!

AND YES THIS WAS SPELL CHECKED!!!![/align]

[align=center]&[/align]

[align=center]GRAMMAR CHECKED!!!!!![/align]

[align=center]HECK, I EVEN HAD MY WIFE CHECK THIS ONE!!!!!![/align]

[align=left]When you are as busy as I am keeping everybody in line and informed at such a haggard pace...errors may surface every once in awhile. You and yours also have a very Merry and Safe Christmas.[/align]
[align=center]:santawaving:[/align]

[align=left]Kyle[/align]

[align=left]I may be Guru, but I ain't poifect!!![/align]

[align=left][/align]

[align=center]
[/align]

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

Hi Sam,

It's good that they finally got smart with the 1100 as far as plug wires - a good improvement over the 1000 setup. My '77 GL1000 still has the original plug wires and coils. Someday I'll replace them with a set of Dyna coils and wires with more energy.

Regardless of this, I still hold that keeping things simple is the best way to do things.

Marco

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
imported post

Kyle wrote:
[align=left]When you are as busy as I am keeping everybody in line and informed at such a haggard pace...errors may surface every once in awhile. You and yours also have a very Merry and Safe Christmas.[/align]
I think old Redwing must be retired. Nothing better to do exxcept check our spellings. I bet he was a schoolteacher in a previus life! :p

·
Best looking member
3,107 Posts
imported post

Me thinks Mr. Redwing is a wee bitjealous of the anointed ones. Merry Merry and Happy Happy:D:D:santahat::santawaving:

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Jason wrote:

I think old Redwing must be retired. Nothing better to do exxcept check our spellings. I bet he was a schoolteacher in a previus life! :p

Hey Jason, :gunhead: Now you hold out your hand for a slap, :crying:and pay attention in this classroom. :leprechaun: For homework tonight learn the following spellings, (1) exxceeptt, (2) prevouis, and (3) penennies. :grinner:

:santahat: :18red: :santahat:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.