Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

The one problem that persists on my LTDis valve clatter on right head. I start it, it's quiet for 30 secs, or so (varies with temp), then quite loud clatter, sounding like just one valve, then 30 secs later it quiets up. Took it apart again, after running it the first 30 secs. stone cold, waited for valve clatter. The de-foaming chambers were empty. Apparently,when first started, being that the oil's cold, they don't fill up fast enough (seemingly) I found no 2valve (ex.) loose, so changed that lifter. That's 2 new ones so far. The center collars are ok.In cranking, with switch on throttle off, There seems to be plenty of oil feeding the orfice plate. Any Ideas why the de-foam chambers empty out so fast, on right only?, or maybe why they don't fill up fast enough? Who's the guru on valve noise problems? HELP! Bob

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Problem solved. New adjuster on #1 ex. Run the engine cold till it started the clatter. Tore down, pulled plugs, bumped engine with starter a little at a time, found very loose ex. rocker. Installed the last new adjuster I had. It was just dandy this morning to McDonalds and back.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Oregonwinger wrote:
Problem solved. New adjuster on #1 ex. Run the engine cold till it started the clatter. Tore down, pulled plugs, bumped engine with starter a little at a time, found very loose ex. rocker. Installed the last new adjuster I had. It was just dandy this morning to McDonalds and back.
Sure is nice to find one of those kind of problems and solve it!:clapper:

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Thanks, all. I was into that right side 3 different times, chasing the noise, but the trick was to run it 30 secs., then shut down after clatter would begin. Then slowly turn engine a little at a time, and - - - presto - - it showed up. Very loose! Like .100 thou., or so. Dbbl checked the center collars each time, too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.