Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi people it's dammyankee I plan on valve adj day sat. The question I have is can I reuse the gaskets on the valve cover? or do I need to use new ones. by the way this is my first time doing this on the gl1100 I have done cars before but not motorcycles.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Re-use the old ones, if they leak get new ones. Be careful in snugging down the rocker cover bolts, they break easily if you overdo it. The flanges bottom on the head and that's it. Once that happens don't force it any more.

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

Yes....and....NO.

One GL1100 I did a valve adjustment and no leaks.

I need to replace my gaskets on my 1982 Aspencade because no matter ho tight the bolts are torqued, it leaks out the cover. Better to buy gaskets than break the bolt try to stop the leak.

Maybe you can fill with gasket glue?

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I use super glue to hold the seals in the rocker cover. It makes sure the seals sit straight and are properly seated in the cover when you put the cover on the head. Often it's hard to make sure they stay in the groove but the super glue guarantees it. Works for both old and new seals. Probably not a good idea to use gasket cement on the seals, you'll hate yourself if you have to scrape it out later. The super glue really doesn't leave much remnant behind if you carefully peel the seal off later.

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
imported post

superglue's a great idea! I've used hi-temp silcone in the past, tried it on my timingbelt cover gaskets, worked but was a PITa to clean off excess. I also wipe a small film of oil on the gasket to head surface, keeps them from sticking too bad.

Todd

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.