Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi All,

I put new valve cover gaskets on after I did the valves, but she is still leaking oil at the bottom of each cover. The rubber on each screw has seen better days, so I am thinking they are just not pushing the covers down far enough. Someone mentioned adding O rings to each screw. How big should these O rings be?

Thanks,

Dave

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

hi dave you would need the O rings to be bigger than the hole in the valve cover but not to big as to overlap the bolt head best to bring a bolt to the auto shop or were ever you can get the rings if the rings dont give you enough pressure to seal the gasket you can add a washer the same size of the bolt head and put the O ring between it and the bolt just a thought dave if you go to a plumbing shop and get the rubber washers that fit the spindleplunger of your sink taps i think you call them fausits dont know how to spell that would be a lot better

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

Be very careful about torquing those bolts down they break easily. Use the torque specs in the manual..kind of finger tight and then 1/2 turn or so..without a torque wrench.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

sometimes they break.... sometimes the strip the threads, they aren't meant to be really tight, just snug

·
Premium Member
1,474 Posts
imported post

Acorn head nuts. threads bottom out. Limited distance they can squeeze so very important to have good seals with "live" rubber to tighten against. Definetly need to replace these seals or add a rubber washerwhen the old gaskets have dried out from age and heat.:waving:Keno

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.