Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Does anyone know if the Valve covers gasket that fit an 1200 will fit the 1100?

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
imported post

Does anyone know it the valve cover gaskets from a 1200 will fit the 1100. I have a new set for the ol 1200 but need to adjust the valves on the 1100.

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
imported post

According to the parts lists they are different. I'd so they won't fit.

LOL!!!

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

la...la...la..la..la....these are a few of my favorite things...ha!

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
imported post

Someone recently had a problem with an oil leak on a 1200. Turned out that it had an 1100 head on one side and the valve cover didn't fit properly resulting in the leak. Seems the covers are not the same.

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
imported post

The gaskets are rubber. I doubt you need to change them unless they leak.

·
Honda Guru
2,043 Posts
imported post

RayJay is correct…. unless they are really old and have flattened out. If they are still soft rubber then you should be able to reuse them.

Leaks occur for a number of reasons…. age is one. Not being properly installed in the groove of the valve cover is another. The gasket actually can get twisted during installation and it'll leak. Leaks at the corners of the cam tower is another reason… that's an easy fix: apply a small dab of silicon sealant to the 4 cam tower corners of the valve cover gasket. Install on the head and LET IT DRY before starting up the engine. That usually works.

For future reference: the 1000's and 1100's use the same valve cover gasket. The 1200's are different.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Nah it is not leaking, just old. The bike has never been apart and has the original gaskets. It takes the dealer weeks to get parts in Montana and I hoped to by pass this problem. Thanks for the info guys.

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
imported post

If the cover is leaking then don't forget to get new bolt seals too. I replaced the gasket twice and it always leaked until I replaced the rubber seals around the bolts, this allowed the bolts to push the cover tighter onto the valve cover gasket and thus seal up the leaks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.