Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I just got done polishing one of my new old valve covers, Thanks to Jbhigg for parting with his spare set. Just have one done for now. Spent about an hour and a half sanding and buffing and it came out great. Will get the other one done tomorrow. Here is a before and after pic

Jbhigg also parted with a spare set of timing belt covers.

some before and after pics

It's a messy jobs but well it in the end.

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

WOW,,,,,,,,,, one hell of a good job :clapper:

Now you'll have to fill us in on what materials you used to get such great results.

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks. I just started with some 200 grit wet/dry sand paper and went to work on them. I finish sanded with 800 grit. I then buffed them, first with tripoi rouge to remove the scratches and them used the white rouge to finsh them. I have to order some flitz which I hear is great stuff for final polishing. I can't wait to see her all back together with them on. I'll post some pics for sure.

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks, I used a bench grinder. It's faster than a drill but makes more of a mess but it's worth it!!

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Are you going to laquer them to stop them deteriorating again?

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

I doubt they will be allowed to deteriorate, Mothers aluminum polish will keep them shining and a coating of Lemon Pledge will help too.
Nice job

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
imported post

NIce job wingd, mine was the same way when I brought home last September. I pulled them off and got them shining as well. I also did the caps over the carbs and the down pipes. You're right, it's not an easy job, but it's so worth it when it's done.

I am curious about something, I used 4 O steel wool and Mothers chrome cleaner, what did you use?

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

Nice job, lookin good.

·
Premium Member
1,846 Posts
imported post

Beautiful job, will make your girl look sharp this spring.:waving:

·
Registered
517 Posts
imported post

I've polished a bunch of parts.

It helps a lot if you start by chemically stripping whatever vestiges of the original clearcoat remain. There is an aircraft aluminium paint stripper that works very well but gunk gasket remover seems to work just as good for less money.

after that 400/600/1000/1500 wet emery cloth to remove scratches and dings and then a buff wheel with polishing compounds as noted previously. (you can get buffing compound from eastwood supply.)

polishing goes far more quickly with a large buff wheel vs. using s drill.

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

I used denatured alcohol to clean them up and then 220/800 then tripoli and white rouge. I will follow up wil flitz when I get some. All on a bench grinder.

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
imported post

Beautiful job, thanks for posting the info and pics, You really know how to make an old girl shine..tears to my eyes..

·
Disfunctional Nimatode
3,381 Posts
imported post

VERY NICE! I want to do my belt covers too........ Foxy mentioned spraying them with lacquer, I was wondering if a person should reseal them too.

·
Premium Member
1,765 Posts
imported post

Wow, that's anunbelieveably good job.

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
imported post

that stuff looks familiar. nice job will look lot better on your bike than on the shelf in my garage

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

I'm surethey will Joe. I'll post some pics in a month or so.

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

I've got my carb caps all buffed up as well.

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
imported post

Flitz is the best. I have been using it for over 30 years. I drove very high end private coaches for entertainers for many years and maintained the wheels and interior polished items etc. with Flitz. I now use it on my 99 Aspy. The wheels stay looking like new. In my opinion, there is nothing better.

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
imported post

BTW I would not put any kind of sealer on the parts. Flitz is so easy to use, you will be able to maintain that just polished look in minutes.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.