Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The threads that the valve cover bolt screws into is stripped. Does anyone know of a repair without removing the head?

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
yes there is a way to do it. called a Helli coil. most auto parts stores carry the right size. just take your bolt with you to the store . yes it is metric. there should be some instrions in the package , should have a tap , setting tool . drill bit. ido belive. good luck .

·
Village Whack Job...
7,908 Posts
If I recall correctly there isn't a lot of material around those holes. By the time you drill one out big enough to be tapped for a heli coil... there might not be anything left. Might be better to just drill and tap the hole the next size up and get a bigger bolt

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
I've found "Loctite ® Form-A-Thread" works well in situations where there is not enough material for a thread insert or larger bolt.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
I'd try re taping it with original size first, can't hurt.

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
Just before you do this if you haven't already.

Try this.

Put in a longer bolt.

I've done this on a rocker carrier bolt and was about to go down the route of tap and hellicoil then got a tip to try this and low IT WORKED!!.

Cheap and easy to try. The bolts in the head that hold the cover on are not a deep as the holes they go into. You are just using the extra undammaged thread.

As a guide I have driven some 5000 miles on this fix and no problems.

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
A longer or larger bolt would be hard to find for this application.

I have seen many broken valve cover bolts due to over torquing, but never a striped out hole unless the hole was damaged during the removal of a snapped bolt.

The fact that the valve cover is basicly rubber mounted will allow SOME imperfections in a repair, but the distance from the head to where the bolt goes through the cover will multiply the effects of the hole not being squared.

Bill

·
Premium Member
2000 GL1500SE
3,349 Posts
Hi Goldtop, the only problem I see with the longer bolt suggestion on the valve covers is that those bolts have a shoulder on them to keep you from tightening them down too far and maybe warping the cover or otherwise damaging it. Would probably be okay in other applications where a shouldered bolt is not required.

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
point taken.:dumb:

Guess I'm spoilt by having a shop close buy that sells nothing but bolts and engineering fastenings so getting the right one is a breeze for me.

It's something I forget.

Good luck with the fix and please post an outcome for the ideas posted here and some feedback. Its helps others in the same position.

Ta ta for now.

Goldtop

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.