Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Just looking for some good tips on the best way to go about polishing the valve covers, oh and the timing belt covers too, on my '84 Aspencade.

·
Premium Member
12,790 Posts
imported post

Mark its a labor of love . I have done several parts and it takes time . I begin with 400 wet or dry sandpaper and work up to 800 or higher . The smoother you get with sandpaper the better the the polish finish turns out . You will need the sandpaper , buffing pads ,(if you use a power buffer ) and the rouge comes in several grades . You work your way into a shine . Here is a link to supplies and another to a "how to "

:How to polish aluminum for motorcycles to chrome like finish

: Buffing and Polishing Supplies - Auto Appearance Specialties

·
Premium Member
3,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks Mike! Now that I'm far enough over the heart surgery I can begin to do some little things to make this behemoth look better. One question: Are the valve and timing belt covers typically clear coated?

·
Premium Member
3,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Okee Dokee thanks.

·
Premium Member
1993 gl1500, 1976 gl1000
3,793 Posts
imported post

All you really need is the sand paper and Mothers Aluminum Wheel Polish. Then use the polish to keep looking good afterwards. Don't use a clear coat. It will yellow.

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

...been lazy with my picture-taking lately, ...been using my phone for most of 'em (over-exposed), but this was done with wire brushes and Nevr-Dull.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.