Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

HI, This site has been a great help for me, lots of good advice to keep my 76 GL1000 alive. Unfortunately I didn't check the archives about doing a valve grind until after I took my heads to a machine shop and had the valves and seats ground. That apparently is a no-no with these heads. My question is: has anyone had their valves and seats ground and if so, how long did they last before having to replace them? Thanks for any replies. Dane

·
Happy Goldwinger
778 Posts
imported post

If the valves and seats are in overall good condition you can lap them in with grinding paste, even though they are hardened meatl.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks Anim8or, but it's too late for lapping, they've already been ground. Besides, they were pitted too much for lapping and one exhaust valve was burned so I replaced it. Dane

·
Administrator
26,180 Posts
imported post

I don't think it will hurt them, we used to grind the valves and cut the seats on Honda cars of that era all the time. Had to do it because the guides would wear out and the seat had to be ground to center it when they were replaced.

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
imported post

IIRC: The head needs to be cut to match the valve, do NOT lap in. The valve has the sensitive treatment/coating that will be damaged and shorten the life of the head/valve.

Bill

·
Honda Guru
2,043 Posts
imported post

Cutting the seats in the head is perfectly ok. Grinding the valves is a no-no.
The face on the valves (all Honda motorcycle valves) are covered with a hardend coating called stellite. It's very thin and grinding the valves destroys the stellite.

I can't speak about grinding Honda car valves.

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
imported post

The factory manual recommends lapping the valves and seats on all of the 4 cylinder wings and you can grind the seats, but not the valves. I always lap the valves / seats when I have a head off for any reason and I have never had a valve fail because of it.
Steve

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

BOTTOM LINE GRINDING = GET NEW VALVES..UNLESS YOUI WanT TO PULL EVERYTHING and replace..fairly soon VS 200,000 miles...

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Thanks for all the good advice; it seems that the consensus is that the seats can be ground but not the valves. If the valves are pitted, buy new ones and lap them in lightly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.