Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

So there I was, doing the daily grind called work, when I was wondering about something. I was wondering if it were possible to pull and replace a valve guide. I noticed on one of the goldwing info pages, you know the kind that actually shows all of the parts and their serial numbers, that the valve guide was a seperate piece.

Anybody out there actually pull and replace one of these before? If you did, what did you use to get it out? (My bike is running fine. Just thought I'd ask.)

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I would think it would come out the way you take guides out of other small engines, I've done it by heating the head to 350F a bit, chilling the guide with a wet rag and driving them out witha punch ground to fit. It's an iffy job replacing guides at home, I've done it when I lived in the far reaches of Alaska, but it's better to have a machine shop handle the job to make sure the guide is fully seated and is the right diameter to be tight enough to stay put, but not so tight as to crack the head. I wouldn't put old valves back in new guides, and if you don't have the machinery to correctly grind the angles needed on the new valves and seat, you may as well have a machine shop do the whole job.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.