Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello everyone;

Being very new to the 1800:jumper:, I have questions about the when and how the valve lash should or shouldn't be checked:stumped:. I have been told that some people have gone as long as 100K and never checked there valve lash and I have been told to check it every 10 to 15K. So who is correct?

Thanks for any and all help.

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
imported post

w8tfi wrote:
Hello everyone;

Being very new to the 1800:jumper:, I have questions about the when and how the valve lash should or shouldn't be checked:stumped:. I have been told that some people have gone as long as 100K and never checked there valve lash and I have been told to check it every 10 to 15K. So who is correct?

Thanks for any and all help.
Hi and welcome to the very best goldwing board.

The scheduled check point is 32k although some who have checked them at that point say it was a waste of time then others .... :leprechaun:

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

Most owners I know needed no shimming at the first check and only a couple needed any at 50k miles.

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
imported post

Valves wear into the head and therefore tighten up ( decreasing the clearance) not loosen as one would expect. The reduction of clearance will result in burnt valves.

I don't own anything as new as the 1800 but I would follow the manufactures recommendation as to time/km between valve clearance checks.

On the older bikes like I have you want to be just able to hear the valves ticking.

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
imported post

cycleman wrote:
Valves wear into the head and therefore tighten up ( decreasing the clearance) not loosen as one would expect. The reduction of clearance will result in burnt valves.

I don't own anything as new as the 1800 but I would follow the manufactures recommendation as to time/km between valve clearance checks.

On the older bikes like I have you want to be just able to hear the valves ticking.
It has been my understanding and experience that cam lobes and rocker arm contact points wear as well, and those wear points will increase the lash. Either way, it is a good idea to keep the valve lash set to the recommended(cold) settings so that when the engine is up to operating temp., the lash is essentially zero.

Hyd lash adjusters need not apply.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Lot of rumors and stuff to sort through for sure. 32,000 miles. Check them. Might not need any shims, still it is just common sense to check them. Always follow the manual for most things.

Another rumor is that the chain tension cams do not need to be loosened. Loosen them, otherwise you will get improper readings.

You can use a small cut off screwdriver and a surgical scissor clamp held against the side of the motor , do not need to buy the special tool. Takes three hands to do that at first, but is sufficient for the occasional time.

Pro cycle has about the cheapest shim kit that I know about, the dealer wants like 4 dollars a shim. And most of the time does not have the one you need.

Kit

·
Honda Guru
2,053 Posts
imported post

Brian,
Good question... and yes, there's a lot of rumors going around.
To start with, I was a Honda trained tech, Factory trained since 1974. One of the first 100 Honda Registered Technicians in the USA. Honda Gold Wing trained with the last class on the 1800's in 2001. I've worked on a lot of 1800's including being a Traxxion suspension trained tech.
About the valves... they do normally tighten up rather than loosen. The front 2 cylinders account for the need of the cam chain tensioner needing to be loosened. There is a .0005" difference between the valve clearance on the 2 front cylinders valves (the front one on each side only) and the rest of the cylinders. So if you take that difference into account you can accurately check the valves without loosening the cam chain tensioner. That action alone will turn a '32k valve check' into an hours job instead of 2hrs or more. The right side cam chain tensioner is the 'really difficult' one to get to!
Now the question is: do you have to check the valves? I say yes! If for no other reason than your own peace of mind! Most likely you won't have to adjust any valves at the 32k check and you might go 100k before anything happens but since the valves DO tighten up as they wear (this is very common on engines that have 'shim under bucket' valve adjustment) you won't hear the valves as they wear. Valves that are too tight will cause burnt valves and NO it wouldn't be covered by any warranty.
So check the valve clearance yourself or have it done for you but get it done at 32,000 miles and every 32,000 miles afterward. Hope you enjoy your new bike!!

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
imported post

I let mine go till 45,000 miles the first time, just having to much fun I guess. I found 4 valves that were .001 tight but still within the + or - .001 the book calls for. I could have buttoned it back up and it would have been ok. but I choose to pull the cams and put them all back to center spec. the point is you want know for sure unless you do check them. by all means check them as the book calls for.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.