Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi guys, sorry for the long away time, have been rebuilding my 700r transmission in my truck, (not like the 400 & 350 trans I used to rebuild back in the dinosaur days). Some times I feel like a dinosaur.

I am back on the wing now that is over, and am curious as to where to go for valve seals and mics gaskets to finish up the head gasket?

Andis lapping valves on these machines ok if the valves are straight and the seats are good, just want to clean up a little rust on the valves and seats from the water in the combustion chamber?

Oh, I forgot to say it is a 82 1100.

Stevej

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thank you for that, I am still out on if I want to settle for just lapping also. I found a machine shop that is specializes on vavle work and I might just have them do the seats and face of valves and put it togther myself.

Stevej

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Hard to see how you could cut enough off hand lapping to affect any hardening, I wouldn't hesitate for clean up purposes.

·
Premium Member
4,910 Posts
imported post

The Honda manual allows for valve lapping; avoid getting lapping compound in the valve guide bore. Valve grinding, however, is not recommended. After lapping, there must be full contact area evident around entire seat; the seat width should be no larger than 1.4mm (.055"). Much less will prevent proper heat transfer; much more will invite build-up of impacted foreign material (carbon?).

If you are performance minded, consider professional seat work. If you just enjoy speed limit type of cruising with no hot-dogging, then the hand work should serve you quite well.

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

steve j wrote:
Thank you for that, I am still out on if I want to settle for just lapping also. I found a machine shop that is specializes on vavle work and I might just have them do the seats and face of valves and put it togther myself.

Stevej
Steve, don't try to use the lapping process to seat pitted or re-seat poorly seating valves.. The lapping process should be used very sparingly as a checking means to verify you have good & full valve face to valve seat contact all the way around.. If you try to use the lapping process to re-seat valves,, thatcould leave a valve face to seat contact area that will change as the valvehead heats up & expands (grows).. Once the lapped in areas become mis-matched from valve head heat expansion you risk leakage & valve burning..

Twisty

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.