Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When you read what Rudy and others have stated about valve stems and the need to replace them with new tires believe it! When I bought my 88 GW it had what appeared to be be a new Elite 3 rear tire. I replaced the worn front tire with a new Elite 3 and stem. Thought the tire situation was cool. Well today, after a day of high speed twisties in the mountains above Fresno (Shaver Lake) and back to Fresno on the Freeway at 80+mph the valve stem let go. I was able to bring her off the freeway without killing myself but what if it was the front tire? The best tire in the world is only as good the valve stem! :shock: Don't let it happen to you!

P.S. The Thrill is not gone!!

·
Premium Member
12,869 Posts
Glad your safe after a ride like that . Please consider a few extra dollars and use metal valve stem replacements .

·
Registered
3 Posts
80+mph the valve stem let go.
Can you go into more detail on the failure?

What kind of valve stem does your bike have (metal/rubber)? What component of the valve stem "let go"? My stems are metal and I have a hard time imagining them spontaneously failing. Did the insides of the valve fail?

=LJ=

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It was a rubber ,right angle type stem and yes, one wing and a prayer , only the best metal stems from now on! God knows ,it was no doubt the original stem from 1988, although there are only 30,000 miles on her now the stem was probably rotting and the flexing of it while adding air before our ride was the final blow. Laserjock,..I'm assumming the centrifical force of the wheel spinning at 90 mph snapped the already weakened rubber stem causing the failure.

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
Were your pants still clean after you got her stopped?:cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
Can you go into more detail on the failure?

What kind of valve stem does your bike have (metal/rubber)? What component of the valve stem "let go"? My stems are metal and I have a hard time imagining them spontaneously failing. Did the insides of the valve fail?

=LJ=
At my first state inspection two years ago after buying my scoot used ('94 Aspencade) the mechanic found a crack in the rear valve stem - a metal valve stem at that. It wasn't losing much air if any and I have no idea what would have caused it since I had only owned the bike a few months. I didn't ask to see the part so not sure where it failed, but it definitely made me appreciate the tech's attention to detail in finding it.

I've always replaced stems at tire changes, four or two wheels, but I REALLY recommend doing so now, even if you have metal ones.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
The trouble with chrome/steel tire valve stems is that they use a large rubber washer that can leak/rot and cause you problems if over/under tightened. They still need to be replaced every few years due to this rubber washer

With the Aluminum ones that a few of us use, there is no rubber washer to rot/deform and are a lot longer lasting/safer to use. Yes they require a slight mod to your valve holder stem, but 1 minute with a die grinder/Dremel takes care of that.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
I think I will change out the ones in my 1500 for strait ones. Makes me nervous pushing against the angle ones . here should be no rason for valve stem failure.
wilf

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
The trouble with chrome/steel tire valve stems is that they use a large rubber washer that can leak/rot and cause you problems if over/under tightened. They still need to be replaced every few years due to this rubber washer

With the Aluminum ones that a few of us use, there is no rubber washer to rot/deform and are a lot longer lasting/safer to use. Yes they require a slight mod to your valve holder stem, but 1 minute with a die grinder/Dremel takes care of that.

Will the aluminum ones work on a 1200? I'll be getting new tires shortly, and I currently have straight rubber type stems. I like the angled ones for ease of checking pressure and adding air.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
Will the aluminum ones work on a 1200? I'll be getting new tires shortly, and I currently have straight rubber type stems. I like the angled ones for ease of checking pressure and adding air.
I don't have a 1200 so I can't say for sure, but, .... from reading the link I provided, they should! :waving:

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
I am not seeing what the big advantage would be if they all have a rubber seal in them. Would that seal not dry rot or crack also?

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
On the way to Calhoun, GA for the first NASSIR NaturlyGW had a front tire valve fail. We were bowling along on the slab in Columbus, MO (I think it was) when he started complaining about wind blowing his bike around. We'd been in a lot of crosswinds crossing the plains the day before but there was none at this time. I dropped back to take a look and his front tire was almost completely flat. Jluvs2dive and I talked him (on the CB) to pull off and take a look. It turned out that it was a crack in the front tire valve. There was a motel at the exit where we got off and aired up the tire that evening. In the morning it was still up. Fooling around with soapy water didn't show anything but a push on the valve stem made it hiss. We were lucky to find a place that could replace the stem for Greg but by the time they'd finished and we showed them to take off the front wheel (It was a HD type place) it cost $110 for a new stem. We still tease Greg about that gold plated tire stem. In his case the bike wasn't uncontrollable but there was still probably eight or ten psi in the tire when he pulled off the road, it wasn't completely flat. The rim was pretty close to the road though.
I've followed Oregonwinger's advice and use a couple of small tie wraps around the stem and through the plastic support piece to keep the stem from moving at all and preventing the plastic brace from getting loose and falling off.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,319 Posts
I like mine but don't bother trying to feed any Dyna Beads through them...don't ask me how I know!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.