Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not really a tech question, but when I was checking the air pressure on the wing. I broke the plastic retainer, holder. I never saw how it helped anyway. Still had to hold the valve stem while checking or filling.
Is it necessary ? I don't want to order just those but will if they are.

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
When moving, the centrifigal force on the valve stem is limited by this piece. Think I would want this on mine to keep from damaging the valve stem.
I actually use a tie strap to keep my valve stem attached tightly to this to prevent valve stem damage.

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
I use the metal enkei 85 degree on my VTX, would these work on a GW...

·
Premium Member
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Well they look to be the 85 degree ones, I thought they were called 90's. I get some ordered. Never considered the centrifugal force thanks for the reply's. I know CycleMax has them.

·
Premium Member
5,319 Posts
Yep, this is the one I use on the front tire...notice the notch that I cut out using a Dremel with a grinding stone.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Yeah, I've read all the posts about trimming the tab on the rim but when I changed over to the metal valve stems I just had them put the new ones on facing the opposite direction.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
I never really understood how that plastic piece is supposed to help anyway?
Centripetal force should be forcing the stem to the rim anyway, not to the center of the wheel, so what good is that holder?
It's like spinning a bucket of water on a rope, the force causes the water to want to go outwards so it stays in the bucket even when upside down!

So ok, I can see the rim having the support and maybe the plastic between the support and the stem as a softer spacer, but what purpose does that loop up over the stem serve? NONE!

At 80mph that stem would be trying to get out to the tire if it moved at all! Never does it try to get in near near the axle!

·
Premium Member
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I do like what you've done. I had new installed on the tire change this summer. Like Halflings but now that what Chromo said makes sense it should throw it out not in. So for now I'll wait, till winter settles in more. Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
don't really like that it is angled. why no just a strait stem like on the earlier goldwings?
ilf

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
Because it's tough to get the nozzle in there to pump up the tires?

Even with an angled valve, I find the rear tire valve hard enough to get to as it is. (At a gas station with helmet on and trying to keep clothes clean...:) )

don't really like that it is angled. why no just a strait stem like on the earlier goldwings?
ilf

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
to me it would seem easier with a strait valve . I hate checking pressures on my 1500 because of the angled valve.
wilf

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
Because it's tough to get the nozzle in there to pump up the tires?

Even with an angled valve, I find the rear tire valve hard enough to get to as it is. (At a gas station with helmet on and trying to keep clothes clean...:) )
I have a straight air chuck like they used to use in real "filling stations". I still have to lay down to check the air or put air in the tire, but the straight chuck plugs right into the angled valve stem. Honda sure made it challenging to check the air in the rear tire, but I really don't see any other way. ****, if it was easy, wimmen and kids could do it.

Can't wait for that to make the rounds. Stand by for heavy rolls.

Chief

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
I'm guessing the device you use to check the pressure is angled itself?

to me it would seem easier with a strait valve . I hate checking pressures on my 1500 because of the angled valve.
wilf

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.