Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Is it possible to change valve stems on the rear of a GL1500 without removing the wheel from the bike?

·
Premium Member
12,781 Posts
imported post

If you can break the tire bead loose from the rim while in place , then I suppose you might . Bead loose , push tire to one side ( possibly done with a large C clamp to hold tire off rim bead . then cut off old stem and work in new one .

I can envision thatits doable, but a royal pain .

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks, I was thinking the same thing.

·
Old School Guru
7,887 Posts
imported post

I've done it on the 1100, But, I always replaced them on the 1500 every timeI replaced the tires. It can be done while on the centerstand, with some good clamps and a couple pieces of wood. You have to break the bead loose totally around the whole tire, then it is not hard at all to squeeze the tire enough to replace the stem. Now, I'm replacing my valve stems with the solid stems that don't need replacing.:smiler:

Gene:action:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

i'm thinking it would be a bear to break the bead with the tire on the bike.
Wilf

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
imported post

GLester wrote:
.......Now, I'm replacing my valve stems with the solid stems that don't need replacing.:smiler:

Gene:action:

I've got these installed on our fleet, as well.

The downside - they are $16.00 apiece, and never seem to go on sale.

The upside - you only buy them once. :)

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
imported post

I bought some of those last year at a bike show. i used a set just last week. Seem to work fine. Easy install. I hope they work good for the long run. I will probibly relace them every other tire change.

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

$10.00 dollars a pair is not a bad price.

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
imported post

bo_mull wrote:
+1 on kurveygirl. Be aware about the" Excessive torque may deform and/or damage the rubber seal gasket"warning. I left mine too loose & they leaked when I rode the bike. The force of the spinning wheel would deform the base & the tire would leak about 20 psi a day. I had to go back, break the bead on the tire & tighten the nut & lock nut. Just as an added measure, I added a dab of blue loctite to the threads. Your mileage may vary....-Rich

·
Premium Member
1,173 Posts
imported post

Matter of fact they recommend using the lock tite.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.