·
Premium Member
6,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Administrator
26,539 Posts
imported post

Nice, and before the naysayers come along and condemn it the V6 Hondas have been using it since 05 and not 1 bit of trouble with it. Improves highway gas mileage a good bit and if they didn't have a light in the instrument panel to tell you when it's active you wouldn't know it. Seems to me the Goldwing would be a good candidate for it.

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

The technology has been out for some time, why they have not incorporated as yet is any ones guess. With prices on gas going back down (for the short term) it relives pressure on manufactures to have to deal with these issues. It's nice to see Honda still going forward with this. And yes, it would be nice to see it happen on a Goldwing. :goofygrin:

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
imported post

Maybe a guru here can answer the question for me...

Years ago cadillac had what they called the v8-6-4. How does this system differ from what was a flop for cadillac years ago? I know times are different and that alone could make it better accepted by the market.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

UBarW wrote:

Years ago cadillac had what they called the v8-6-4. How does this system differ from what was a flop for cadillac years ago? I know times are different and that alone could make it better accepted by the market.
I suppose it would depend on how responsive the system would be to the demand for instant throttle.

I ride and own an 1800 for the performance and the power(and brakes) and to me for a recreational motorcycle, I do not care one bit about saving a couple gallons of gas. I enjoy the bike, everything about it, and it is not my commuter. It is the fun machine, the means to get out and go and leave the normal behind.

That would be my attitude to any system that works to save fuel on my recreational toy. If geared for a commuter, and with the mindset to save fuel that is one thing, one can put up with hesitation and a bit of timing lag. On a bike made for the enjoyment of the day, to me it would not be something I would want to put up with, when I open the throttle I want instant power and performance, I have no wish to sit there and count.......one, two............okay here we go.

Kit

·
Premium Member
6,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

:)Mercedes have been using this for a lot of years on there 600 models,there V12 6ltre, and on the coupe , it cuts the engine down ,to suit your driving style,,,,ie, if your going round town, low speeds and stop ,,starts,, it will be a V6,,,, the more you open the engine up ,,the more cylinders it allows you to use,,,,very clever,, very smooth and a great saving on fuel,;) i think its a must for a bigger wing of the future;)

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Properly engineered and designed it would most likely be a very good thing. Look at the ABS brakes, they work so well and work so fast it is humanly impossible to tell or sense any lag in operation. So if they were to put a fuel management system on the Wing and it worked well, I would have no complaints with it. Kit

·
Administrator
26,539 Posts
imported post

Like I said above Kit, if they didn't have the light to tell you it is active or not you would never know it's there. There is no hesitation at all period. It is not just a fuel management system, it is incorporated into the VTEC valve system and disconnects the valves from the cam basically.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Davogd430 wrote:
Like I said above Kit, if they didn't have the light to tell you it is active or not you would never know it's there. There is no hesitation at all period. It is not just a fuel management system, it is incorporated into the VTEC valve system and disconnects the valves from the cam basically.
Well bring it on!! I suppose I can learn to fix that too. :action::action::D Kit

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
imported post

UBarW wrote:

The advance in electronics have made cylinder management more acceptable and accurate to control. The biggest gripe on V8-6-4 was the 6 cyl mode as that does not apply well to a V8 (1,2,3,miss,5,6,7,miss,) where a 4 cyl mode works evenly. (drop every other cyl) If it had been a V8-4 it would have been ahead of its time. It also used rocker arm deactivation that did not work well. New vehicles use lifter deactive which works well and is simple to execute.

GW's (and any eng) with hydraulic lifters and port fuel inj would be good candidates

·
Premium Member
1,334 Posts
imported post

I can remember pulling a number of the v8-6-4 engines out and dropping in a standard v8 replacement back when I was wrenching full time..big mistake for GM just like the Chevy Vega with the all aluminum engine!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.