Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

We're planning a trip in August out to Vermont and New Hampshire. We've never been out there and don't want to miss any of the "have to", places to see/ride. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
imported post

There are a couple of spots I highly recommend. Starting in SW Vt, at Middlebury, there is a beautiful ride up along theNY border. I recall it being Rte 7. A great bike road up there is the Kancamangus Trail, runs thru the mountains between VT and NH, ends up in the Conway area of the White Mts, a beautiful spot as well.

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
imported post

If you like hills and turns, you can't go wrong with the Adirondack Mountains in western NY. Can't remember specific routes offhand, but I can find out if you like.

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

My wife and I crossed lake Champlaigne on a ferry. started on the New York side. Rode route 2 through VT and NH. Go up Mt Washington, very steep, narrow, and weather unpredictable. Continued on route 2 through Maine and on to Acadia National Park. Vary beautiful place to visit.

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
imported post

x 2 on the Adirondacks, Finger Lakes, and most of upstate NY. We crossed from NY to VT at the Ticonderoga ferry, blasted up through VT in the rain, and crossed Champlaign on the Essex ferry back to NY. Didn't see much that loop.

Wife and I are leaving for a week-long NY, MA, VT, NH tour on the 19th. We'll know more when we get back. :)

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
imported post

The Fingerlakes are give and take, but I might just be acclimated. My uncle rides(and has ridden) for many years longer and many miles farther than I have. I will pick his brain about the most scenic routes around NY. If you want a pretty ride, I'd have to recommend September(if the weather holds) due to the foliage.

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
imported post

The ride From Williamsport PA. up thru the fingerlakes is awesome. Just did it Friday in the rain and it was still great!:action:

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
imported post

SETHAN12 wrote:
My wife and I crossed lake Champlaigne on a ferry. started on the New York side. Rode route 2 through VT and NH.     Go up Mt Washington, very steep, narrow, and weather unpredictable. Continued on route 2 through Maine and on to Acadia National Park.  Vary beautiful place to visit.
My dad grew up in Madawaska Maine. Haven't been there in 30 years. hope to take a bike trip up there someday.

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
imported post

Any ride on rt 100 in Vermont is a good ride--one of my favorites. I agree about Kancamagus. Don't do Mt Washington unless you're very comfortable with your bike. If you are, and the weather's good (always iffy) it's well worth it.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Great area to ride/explore through. :cool:Wish I was going with you on this trip, :waving: but maybe in the near future I'll do most of it again, when I move back to Ontario.

Head on up into PA and through the Allegheny NF, over and up into the Catskills and poppin out to ride up alongside the Hudson River. Then cut up the edge of Mass into southern VT/NH and ending up at the excellent ocean sidebeaches of Hampton Beach. Then head north alongside the ocean to Portsmouth and view some of the old buildings (Circa 1675) before heading north up into the Presidential Mountain Range near Conway, where you can do aloop the highest mountains in the state before heading south again and onto the Kancamagus Hwy. From there head north up through Franconia Notch on your way to Stowe VT, home of the Van Trapp Family Lodge(The Hills are alive, with the Sound Of Music fame) The head south through a beautiful valley before heading west, crossing back over into NY and Glen Falls. Ride north along beautiful Lake George before cutting over into the High PeaksRegion of the Adirondacks, by Keene Valley, winding your way into Lake Placid, home of 2 Winter Olympics.

http://tinyurl.com/narmkm

Upon leaving the Lake Placid area, enjoy the gorgeous ride past beautiful Sarnac and Tupper Lakes,(plus many more)past the Adirondack Museum at Blue Mountain Lake and Old Forge, en route to the Finger Lakes Region, of Ithaca and Watkins Glen, with it's beautiful natural park(Glen) right off of main street. Then head south, back into PA and down to Williamsport, to ride along another great river, the Susquehanna, following it up and around, over towards the southern Allegheny, before dropping south and west, making the final run towards home.

http://tinyurl.com/m49aye

Have a great trip,which ever route you end up taking. There is a lot of great riding there ahead of you! :action:

Dusty

·
Just one of the guys
4,832 Posts
imported post

When you leave Ohio, parallel RT80 to Rt 62, take that up to Rt 666, turn right and follow that to Sheffield where you pick up Rt 6 east across PA. Lovely ride across there. Rt 666 needed fresh pavement the last time I was on it 2 years ago so if the surface is bad you can just stay on 62 and pick up rt 6 that way near youngsville. Hopefully someone has been on 666 and can give an update on conditions. It was not terrible, but a little bumpy in places.

As Dusty mentioned the Adirondack museum is neat, we spent a full day there, it was quite a surprise find for us.

Any of the roads in the Adirondacks is fun, I have not been there but I suspect the ones in VT and NH are just as good. Lots of turns,lots of scenery, lots of neat little places to stop and poke around. You could spend 3 or 4 weeks in that part of the country real easy.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
imported post

Thanks for all the great advise and tips. Sounds like we'll have a lot of great places to ride and see.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.