Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We recently returned from a 22 day, 4978 mile trip from Texas to Deadwood, SD. We got home Monday, June 24th without incident. The EdSet speakers in my Scorpion half helmet are located BELOW my ears to the point I have to turn the volume up almost to max to hear the radio. No, I cannot raise the speakers in the helmet. Yes, I do have hearing problems that are sure to be addressed by the VA any year now. These things take time.
Friday, June 28th I got up to get dressed for a Patriot Guard mission and literally fell back into bed. I used to spend a lot of money to get that dizzy. I went to the doctor Monday, July 1st and was diagnosed with "vertigo". Duh! I was prescribed "Antivert" 50mg four times daily until (1) it goes away or (2) three weeks and go back to see the doctor. The doctor would not commit one way or the other whether the radio turned up to max in my helmet was in any way the problem. No other possible for the vertigo (first time ever).
So, the question to you all is: have any of you had anything like this happen to you? Any opinions on the speaker being the problem? Obviously I can't ride the bike until I get a handle on this thing.
Chief

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
I got my hands on an extra bike to helmet cord. I clipped the helmet end off, and soldered the red, blue, and black (ground) to one of these...

If you rough up the surface, the solder sticks quickly, without melting the plastic insulator between channels.

I can use my noise cancelling headphones to listen to the bike then. Much more quiet. Perhaps this will help.

Obiously there is no function for the mike here, but when I ride, I am usually alone so it works for me. Might this help you?

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
I am no doctor, but I would bet a dollar you have an inner ear infection, albeit a minor one. Docs today don't "cure" anymore. They give you a sample, or prescription for symptoms. Vertigo is not really a diagnosis, usually. It's a symptom caused by something. Your inner ear is responsible for your sense of balance. If the fliud inside the inner ear gets thicker than normal, things don't work right. This infection is sometimes suspected to be "Minears(sp?) disease". Again, I'm no doctor, but I have personal experience. Hope you are better soon. Then again, maybe MY doctor is spun? jimsjinx

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
I never use my headsets for music, only for intercom and CB

I just don't feel in control if music is blasting in my ear, quite content to use the bike speakers for that.

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am no doctor, but I would bet a dollar you have an inner ear infection, albeit a minor one. Docs today don't "cure" anymore. They give you a sample, or prescription for symptoms. Vertigo is not really a diagnosis, usually. It's a symptom caused by something. Your inner ear is responsible for your sense of balance. If the fliud inside the inner ear gets thicker than normal, things don't work right. This infection is sometimes suspected to be "Minears(sp?) disease". Again, I'm no doctor, but I have personal experience. Hope you are better soon. Then again, maybe MY doctor is spun? jimsjinx
Thanks for all the feedback, guys. This stuff is a little scary. But not as scary as reading up on Meniere's disease. That was terrifying. I'll keep fighting it and trying to ascertain what to do next. Can't imagine losing the ability to ride. I couldn't take that easily. Thanks again.

Chief

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have a very good friend with a severe case. He still rides. He is very limited on how much salt he can use, and has to account for it in everything he eats and drinks.

It would cost you nothing to cut your sodium intake right now and see if it gives any relief

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a very good friend with a severe case. He still rides. He is very limited on how much salt he can use, and has to account for it in everything he eats and drinks.

It would cost you nothing to cut your sodium intake right now and see if it gives any relief
I have been using "fake" salt substitute for years. I am getting dangerously close to the end of quitting things. I have very few vices left. At some point, many folks quit living just so they can survive. I don't know exactly where the line is, but at some point I will just stop surviving. I will talk to my doc about the effects of salt substitute. Thanks for the heads up.

Chief

·
Registered
90 Posts
Chief,

All of the salt substitutes use potassium chloride (that nasty bitter taste) which can mess with your heart (arrhythmias) or severely dehydrate you (diuretic) if used too much. Sucks. I don't use them...I read labels and rely on salt already in food for seasoning...and yes, it took getting used to.

I recently had a stent installed in a cardiac artery that was 80% blocked...in one year. :eek:
Problem is, that artery started life as a vein in my right leg which was harvested for a bypass graft back in 2005:eek::eek::eek:
It wasn't even one of my OEM arteries that was blocked!

As a result, I have to limit my total fat intake every day to 10% of calories consumed until...forever. ugh...genetics.

It's either that or check out far sooner than I want.

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
ear crystalls

My friend lost the whole season last year everyone has crystles in there ear that keep them balanced some times they go out of whak theere is a medication that can get you back on your feet you should see an ENT doctor about thism I don't know why this happens but that could be your problem in fact Ihave three friends that have suffered from this and it took awhile to find the real problem for all of them good luck

·
Premium Member
555 Posts
I have had periodic and thankfully temporary bouts with vertigo- not fun! In my case, it seemed to be connected sinus infection or when I had sweated too much for several days and my electrolytes got out of whack.

Our bodies are amazing machines, but many things need to be in balance for them to function correctly.

The point is, it may not be real serious.

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
That's right. And as we age, those balances are more critical. When we are young, our bodies can adjust for imbalances without a problem. I did not mean to scare you! Quite the conrary! I had an inner ear infection, diagnosed by an ENT doc, and my general doc thought it could be the Menears! Scared the crap outa me,too! I put my money on an infection. jimsjinx

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
First time I had vertigo it scared the crap out of me... Went to my Family Doc and he recommended that I go to a quacktopracter (Chiropractor) it worked the first time. I have had several bouts with it since and have never had the chiro work again so I take a few doses of the anti vert prescription and I'm good as gold. They tell me mine is caused by the "rocks" in my inner ear canal. The littles have a blast with knowing that I have rocks in my head...:ROFL:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Sounds a lot like BPPV which is a form of vertigo that I get now and then. It's not usually too severe though there are times when it helps to close one eye and ignore the feeling of spinning. Some how with one eye closed it's easier to deal with especially when riding. It usually doesn't last very long for me.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benign_paroxysmal_positional_vertigo

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks, guys, for all the help and good wishes. It's better! Not great yet, but better. Good enough that I rode to the store today. Incident free in that five mile round trip. I have found out what I can and can't do, and that helps a lot. It seems to be getting better by the day. I hope I can ride this weekend. I still don't know what caused it, but it sucks and I'm ready for it to be gone. Thanks again for the help.

Chief

·
Registered
19 Posts
It would actually be pretty weird if your case of vertigo had to do with the loud music playing from your speaker. I think it's more so because you're stressed. You're going to be fine as long as you keep riding.

·
Registered
936 Posts
I will tell you I had a similar experience last year when I first bought my wing. I would get out of bed and fall to the left. My balance was wacked when I first woke up. After awhile I must have compensated and the rest of the day was ok. Next morning, happened again and again for a week or so. I don't do doctors and this problem went away on its own. All I could figure is the wind noise or pressure on a street bike messed with my ear and balance. The only change in my life was the bike and the problem happened at that time. Everything has been fine since. I do wear a skull cap that covers my ears and this reduced my wind noise and sunburnt ears. Wicks sweat and isn't hot in the summer. Maybe your long distance ride got you the same as me. It goes away on its own.

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I will tell you I had a similar experience last year when I first bought my wing. I would get out of bed and fall to the left. My balance was wacked when I first woke up. After awhile I must have compensated and the rest of the day was ok. Next morning, happened again and again for a week or so. I don't do doctors and this problem went away on its own. All I could figure is the wind noise or pressure on a street bike messed with my ear and balance. The only change in my life was the bike and the problem happened at that time. Everything has been fine since. I do wear a skull cap that covers my ears and this reduced my wind noise and sunburnt ears. Wicks sweat and isn't hot in the summer. Maybe your long distance ride got you the same as me. It goes away on its own.
I'm inclined to agree with you, youngn. When I went to the doc, she said she didn't know what caused it, but take these Antivert pills and if it's not better in three weeks come back. And, oh yeah, this vertigo thingy is usually "self limiting".

Well, it's better. A lot better. So I don't know if it was the pills or it "limited itself". But I'll take better.

Thanks to you all for your concern and your thoughts and ideas. Onward, through the fog! Ride Safe!

Chief

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
Just my personal opinion. I do not and have never used helmet speakers, nor have I ever used a stereo on a bike at all. I ride for peace and relaxation, and music would destroy that. I also believe it is dangerously distracting.

That being said, I do listen to music in the car, but rarely in town, only out on the road. And I do not listen to any kind of a radio, because of the distraction problem. I only listen to prerecorded music that I am already familiar with, to avoid unintentionally focusing on something unfamiliar on the radio, and missing something that could cause an accident.

I don't know about your situation, but there is conclusive proof that headphones/earphones, like those on an iPod, do cause hearing damage. Many teenagers who go around all the time with earphones on have been diagnosed with hearing loss. Headphones/earphones actually seem to be worse than a loud noise some distance away. Doctors have been concerned about hearing loss since the first headphones/earphones for music came out. Voice, as in talking, at a normal level, does not seem to be a problem.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.