Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an intermittent problem with my 1500. Sometimes all the rear light go out except 1 offside or are dim. The CC is also playing up at the same time. on the brake sensor the small cables are showing 12 v but the larger 5 vI have cleaned the front brake handlebar sensor and th large plug under the seat. Help please

·
Premium Member
6,724 Posts
I have an intermittent problem with my 1500. Sometimes all the rear light go out except 1 offside or are dim. The CC is also playing up at the same time. on the brake sensor the small cables are showing 12 v but the larger 5 vI have cleaned the front brake handlebar sensor and th large plug under the seat. Help please
Not sure how you are testing but if you are getting 12 volts on one side of a load and 5 volts on the other (ground) side you have a poor ground. There is a 14 pin orange ground gang connector on the left side of the fuel tank. It has a bit of a reputation.

2020-10-17 (2)_LI.jpg

·
Registered
183 Posts
To find out if its a ground, connect test light or volt meter to battery (-) Negative and test again. If you get 12, its a ground, If you still get 5, its a bad connection some where. It will show up better under load. So test with the light on.

David

·
Premium Member
6,724 Posts
[
Don't know which GL1500 you have (SE, Aspencade or Interstate). The 22-pin connector under the seat (left side) is (Blue, White or Yellow depending on which model you have.

That connector provides power (and ground) to all lights on the rear of the bike.

Connect a jumper wire from the frame (or battery negative post) to the "Green" ground wire at that 22-pin connector under the seat. Do the lights get bright....??

That "ground" comes from a "ground point" on the radiator near the thermostatic fan motor switch.

If your "Head Lights" and "Turn Signals" are working good, the ground at the radiator is good.

You may have a problem at that 22-pin connector.....! Ground for the Cruise Control Unit is also in this same "ground" circuit. Ya know there can be "feedback" from poor grounds......!!

That "Ground" near the Oil Dip Stick provides a ground for the ECM, Horn, Head Lights and a few other items. If they are all working good, that ground is good.

Just my thoughts......which might not be worth much.

Hope you find the problem........!!
Hi Dave,
You said "That "ground" comes from a "ground point" on the radiator near the thermostatic fan motor switch. " I can't see where (or why) the ground point by the radiator is located, . Maybe it's just not shown?

Screenshot (145)_LI.jpg

·
Premium Member
6,724 Posts
Mike, If you look at the Circuit Diagram under Lights and Switches, you will see that the Green ground wire at the 22-pin connector comes from the ground point on the radiator. Plus I have actually seen this ground wire on GL1500's.

I should have known (from past experience) not to respond........!!!
Why wouldn't you respond????

·
Premium Member
6,724 Posts
Mike, If you look at the Circuit Diagram under Lights and Switches, you will see that the Green ground wire at the 22-pin connector comes from the ground point on the radiator. Plus I have actually seen this ground wire on GL1500's.

I should have known (from past experience) not to respond........!!!
Alright, I do see that the rear light grounds are connected as you describe and I agree that is a more likely place for a failure. Been in there myself for some reason. Weird thing is there is no reference to the gang connector on that schematic.
So I hope that Moggie checks yours first. Save some work.

:unsure:

·
It aint rocket science
3,931 Posts
The small 16Ga. ground wire is attached to only one radiator which just so happens to house the one wire thermostatic fan motor switch which needs that ground to operate.;) The 16Ga. radiator wire is a splice off the larger 14Ga. ground wire and electricity will always flow to path of least resistance to frame ground by dipstick where the negative battery terminal also terminates.

·
Premium Member
6,724 Posts
The small 16Ga. ground wire is attached to only one radiator which just so happens to house the one wire thermostatic fan motor switch which needs that ground to operate.;) The 16Ga. radiator wire is a splice off the larger 14Ga. ground wire and electricity will always flow to path of least resistance to frame ground by dipstick where the negative battery terminal also terminates.
JD,
I have some vague recollections of working in there an it just seems like it was a flimsy kind of deal with a cheapy connector. Or am I thinking wrong?

·
Premium Member
3,744 Posts
His Ground issue will be found at the 22-pin connector under the seat..

My money is on a Ground issue at that 22-pin connector.....!!!!.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I couldn't find the bad ground in my truck so I spliced in another ground wire and hooked it to the body. Might be easier than hunting.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

·
It aint rocket science
3,931 Posts
JD, I have some vague recollections of working in there an it just seems like it was a flimsy kind of deal with a cheapy connector. Or am I thinking wrong?
You are on point and if you look at the cooling system wiring diagram there appears to be a small diode in that ground wire. That IMO would deal with fluid dynamics, dissimilar materials and galvanic corrosion which you would not want happening to the radiator. An EE guy (Electrical Engineering) could elaborate in detail much better than I, a lowly and humble meckinic.:)
DSC_2486f.jpg

·
Premium Member
6,724 Posts
You are on point and if you look at the cooling system wiring diagram there appears to be a small diode in that ground wire. That IMO would deal with fluid dynamics, dissimilar materials and galvanic corrosion which you would not want happening to the radiator. An EE guy (Electrical Engineering) could elaborate in detail much better than I, a lowly and humble meckinic.:)
View attachment 324016
Well JD, I studied the schematic until my eyes crossed trying to find a different point where the rear lights could find a ground. By George I did find a route where it could flow to G100 just as you say. He's out riding by now. We will never hear from him. Good job Guys. I'll say it for the OP. 😎

1 - 20 of 20 Posts