Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Well I agree with you, It’s most likely a sensor
Out of range for the conditions but not so far out to set a fault code. It also doesn’t set a Rich or lean code when it acts up. It acts like An erratic TPS .. I have a very sensitive oscilloscope and it’s a clean signal to / from the TPS. At the ECM return and at the tps 5 volt reference. The sensors low ground at the ECM is .02 volts and doesn’t change pulling in wires indicating a wiring issue.

I found every Splice Connect Ground and power since an earlier post found corrosion and a No Start condition on a bike, no power to ECM when plugged in.

I even refrigerated the ECM to cold soak it, rapped on it, pressing on it with my fingers, and tarped the entire area fans running about 1/2 temp to simulate hi heat. Let it set 30 mins and stated again... no issues.
Swapped the Knock Sensors to see if intermittent actual knock sensor is bad, to see if the code 26 returns, or moves ...

My 100 loop mile ride this morning bike ran perfectly.

The used throttle body has a Map, and a TPS sensor attached. So those will get sensors swapped cheap to see ... I have my friends 05 ECM to test if I can get it to act up before I leave for Montana 1st of August.

If I can’t get it to act up, then change the Throttle body with the sensors, and swap ECM, go on my trip. Those items would be eliminated at least. I ran all the harness to check for abrasion and wiggle tested watching a scope for fluctuations. Nothing ...
check each splice connectors , nothing
Removed all the relays and thumped the ones for the Ecm them with screwdriver nothing

I only got the Knock code 26 once Left Knock sensor issue Out of three bad running episodes. When it ran bad I rode it each time beyond 200 miles , numerous key off back on ... cycles and no change and no codes other than the knock that one time.
Load the engine, or twist the throttle a little more it clears up and runs fine. I could smell the exhaust and fuel economy goes down, indicting rich mixture. It cuts out, surges , and will not idle when the starts to act up. Strangely no code for mixture being off...

I even bought used set of coils with internal igniters “they want set a code in the ECM either” to try. They where Inexpensive to try something ..

The one time I did get it acting up at home, started it , ran 90 ish mins. Blanket around the front , temp gauge a little above 1/2 , fans on ... it started running bad... scope tested the tps, the engine speed crank sensor and each output from the ECM to the coils. They looked clean, not erratic...

Whether the values where correct for the condition was unknown tho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Nope the sensor mounts on the actual TB and is tight. The vac lines look good what there is of them.

after using Date Stream real time Monitoring
spoils you. I made voltage Correlations when the bike is running fine , base TPS, Baro, Map, coolant temp, Air temp as good base lines to normal parameters.

if you load the engine via apply brakes and gas , the surging stops, roll throttle 1/3-to full it stops too and pulls hard to whatever speed you want too. Maintenance throttle is starts surging again. At low speeds it jerk bad and feels like it wants to quit.
Funny thing, you know a rich mixture when you smell it... it’s rich. But no FI light for Rich Mixture... when I nursed it back home.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I get the feeling this is going to be one of those"let it develope" ones where you have to wait for it to totally quit on you to find the fault, probably a long way from home. Do you have recovery cover?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Well actually I do to the nearest shop... but the match with a loosen gas line might be involved with spontaneous combustion before the wrecker shows up.

But my friend said he would come come rescue me on my trip, he is not going because of his wife this time...

The other fact, there is another girlfriend brand of bike going with me, and there is no way I will except a Honda would fail to get me home.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
The modified plan for this, I found a later model used ECM for 207.00 part ending -305. The used throttle body arrived and looks good. I ordered a new Coolant Sensor from Honda along with two little coolant fitting orings for at the bottom of each head where the hose connects there is a fitting where two hoses connect, one large and one small. There was some coolant stain at these fittings.

1. Replace the Throttle Body, takes care of two sensors TPS , MAP 55.00

2. Replace the ECM 207.00 carry just Incase the 05 good ECM with me.

3. Replace the Water temp Sensor, 38.00 and while the coolant is drained the small hoses from the bottom of each head passes by the knock sensors to the actual coolant drain in the front. Also replace the small bleed hose from the radiator next to left radiator. Each of these hoses have a wear spot on them.

Hopefully between the sensors that could effectively cause my symptoms and even the ECM maybe solve for my mystery code 26 and not act up anymore.

Less than 300.00 dollars we will see.

Have a 30 day warranty on the used ECM...

·
Registered
351 Posts
Sounds like a plan to me. Your used parts are way more economical than here in UK

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
ECM 38760-MCA-305 used , installed and History code 13 was present. I went through the deleted / erase code process and now none flash when Shorted ...

Starts and runs normal, with New Coolant Sensor, Used Throttle Body and Used ECM.

Now just serviced the brake fluid and clutch fluid, replaced two orings under the heads where coolant hoses attach. Mine started to seep a little. Mounted up new tires, changed the coolant and oil. Ready to cowl it all back up, for leaving Sunday morning to Montana.

Fingers X..

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #29

My buddy helping out ... cleaning my wheel..

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #31

Well a test ride this morning before leaving
Tomorrow morning early for Montana.

Hopefully the gremlin is gone.

Tex

·
1,682 Posts
Good luck with the repair and the journey.
It's something of a trailer you have - what is the permissible total weight of a motorcycle trailer in the USA?
In Denmark, the permissible total weight of a motorcycle trailer is 50% of the motorcycle's unladen weight, however, the maximum is 200kg. (= 440Lb.).

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
You know, I haven’t seen a restriction riding a bike pulling a trailer....

I pulled a trailer for years.. jet ski in the early 90’s with my 1500, to this trailer “empty weight 290-300 lbs” , to a small flatbed hauling my track CBR1000RR with with this 1800.

Launching the Jet Ski in the 90’s was interesting... had to have two people for that...

Tex

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,281 Posts
I don't recall ever seeing a "maximum" towing restriction on trailers.

It is pretty much up to the owner, who has to pay the bills if he wrecks it because of improper weight and balance.

I never weighed my box trailer, but it was plenty damn heavy when I toured with it, but the bike never complained..... the only time I noticed was the slight bit of "slowness" on take off, and the need to be aware of stopping ahead of time.

·
Registered
752 Posts
I've never weighed my camper trailer, the tag lists the trailer weight at 375 lbs empty, it's probably 550 lbs loaded. Never heard of a limit in the US.
On one of the forums somebody linked a youtube video from Tokyo showing Goldwings being used as tow vehicles to tow wrecked cars from accident scenes. A dolly arrangement on trailer hitch.

In the early '90's I drove my Suzuki GS550 cross-country to Michigan, going down the interstate thru Iowa I witnessed the most unlikely load on a motorcycle. I passed two big guys riding a Goldwing and towing a snowmobile trailer with three more motorcycles loaded on it. Two dirt bikes on either side and another Goldwing in the center. Too bad my camera was packed securely in my duffel !

The poor Goldwing doing the towing must've been down in third gear and had it's tongue hanging out panting! If he didn't have electric trailer brakes I wouldn't have wanted to try to stop that arrangement!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
You know tho 1/2 the bikes weight is not a bad idea in the realm of safety. This morning my shake down 100 mile loop the bike averaged 33 mph which is better than I expected and it ran normal,
I think I remember my 1500 on trips with this trailer was in the hi 20’s for MPG.

After my trip I feel confident that the gremlin is fixed whatever it was I don’t care at this point. Under 300.00 bucks to rid that gremlin is worth it to me. Thanks goodness there are enough of these 1800’s being parted out to take advantage of low mileage replacement “used” parts which I normally never go with.

TEX

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I

330 mikes done, in Amarillo Tx. So far running good.

Tex

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Howdy, 2750 miles ridden and pulled a trailer the entire way and the bike ran great.... However I launched my cell phone off my handlebar and a car ran over it. My friend sent me this while we where on the trip. He made it to Colorado in one day, con-grads to him enduring the early start and a long day ride just to get to this welcoming weather their before setting up camp. He realized his bike isn't comfy for long rides and we cut out Montana out and Wyoming. Wyoming near Yellowstone was full in their Hotels and Campgrounds, so we did 1500 miles touring Colorado instead. We got Hail 2 times on our ride and covered the road both times!

·
Registered
351 Posts
Glad you sorted it, intermittent electrical gremlins are a real swine to fix

21 - 40 of 40 Posts