Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

i have a very strange noise that has anoyed my for some months and has defied any attempt to find it here are the facts.

1) it sound a cross between a bearing that is orbiting in its socket and a demented steam whistle.

2) it occure under accelleration but not when the engine is up to running temperature.

3) once it starts the only way to stop it is to slow down to almost a stop, while slowing down the noise sounds the same as in the note does not change until just before it stops.

4) changing gears does not change it.

5) reving up with clutch in or out does not change it.

6) dropping the clutch does not change it.

7) breaking does not change it.

8) staying at the same speed or accelerating more does not change it.

9) It is hard to tell where it is coming from but sound to be towards the frount of the engine but i could be wrong.

10) things i have renewedon the way to trying to find this noise are, timing belts and pulleys, water pump, top end strip and rebuild. rear wheel had orbiting bearings but was fixed with shims and was still OK when i checked last week. universal joints are not loose. frount wheel does not have any play.

any idea's any one? all suggestions greatfully recieved.

·
Administrator
26,570 Posts
imported post

How about the speedometer cable?
Or the speedometer itself, my 1100 did that, had to lube the speedometer. Removed it and applied liquid graphite to the shaft.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,763 Posts
imported post

Dave hit it on the head. It's the cable. Just slip it out, run some light grease on it and re-install.
That generally starts when the weather starts cooling down. Aren't you in mid winter now?

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
imported post

Sounds like the speedometer to me too. A little lube may be all it needs.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

Could be the speedometer cable, if the 1200 has one. Mine doesn't. And if it does not make the noise while the bike is parked at idle, and you do not have fuel injection, at least it was not what mine was (the description sounds a lot like the noise my 1200LTD was making)

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Cool thank you guys i will give it a go at least it is not a major item.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.