Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I recently purchased a used Vetter fairing that has a locked compartment and no key. Does anybody know a good way of opening this with the least amount of damage?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

You can carfully peel off the sticker on the opposite side and drill out the rivits that hold the braket on and lift the lid off. you can then deal with the lock and rerivite the clamp back on
Wilf

·
Banned
1,234 Posts
imported post

I'd just drill out the lock and get a replacement cabnet lock from Lowes or Home Depot or Menards. I did that for all my old vetter locks I use to have.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
imported post

go to a lock smith

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

schmidtap wrote:
I'd just drill out the lock and get a replacement cabnet lock from Lowes or Home Depot or Menards. I did that for all my old vetter locks I use to have.
i belive its cheaper to do it this way. :ROFL:

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

wda-83wing wrote:
schmidtap wrote:
i belive its cheaper to do it this way. :ROFL:
Yep! :gunhead:

...the lock is getting changed out anyway, right?

It's just a cabinet lock like schmidtap says. Have to match the depth; no problem.

30 seconds with a drill and it's ready to head to the hardware store for a new lock with two new keys to match-up to.

Option two: find the kid in your neighborhood that likes "mischief" and let him spend some time picking the lock. Maybe he'll become a Locksmith vs. a Criminal...

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
imported post

I have an old Vetter key off my 78-750K and has #C406A on it. I wonder if it would work?

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,588 Posts
imported post

I'm with A/C Man on this.

Put the thing in your car and go to a lock smith. He will be able to open the lock and make some new keys for it.

·
Premium Member
1,107 Posts
imported post

Craig Vetter says drill:

http://craigvetter.com/pages/Vetter_Fairings/Frequently%20asked%20questions.html

How do I get new keys for my Vetter equipment? (Nov 2009)

Q: "I'd like to get all new locks with the same key."

Craig answers: There are no keys. The numbers on the lock mean nothing.
Well, we have a problem here.

Here is what you do:

For locks that are locked: With a 3/16- 1/4" dia. drill bit, drill thru where your key goes.
This messes it all up so you can use a screw driver to turn the lock.
Take the old lock to any locksmith store and buy a replacement lock.
The new lever that comes with your lock will work fine for the tonneu and the saddlebag doors.

However... You will notice that the square cam at the bottom of the lock is larger than the original Vetter cam, so the Vetter lever will not work.

Here are my suggestions to replace the saddlebag locks. The locks we used "seem" to be made today. They look exactly the same. But the little square cam that holds the lever is much bigger now. The only way you are like to solve your problem is to take one of your lock assemblies to a locksmith and have him order as many as you need for all your locks - all with the same key. The fairing cover parts will go on easily as mentioned above. The saddlebag door and Tail trunk door will work also using the supplied lever.

The locks that hold the bag are the problem. They must have the square cam filed down to fit the original Vetter brass cam. The brass cam also will probably need to be drilled out a bit because they use a larger screw today.

:waving:

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
imported post

I had the same problem back in 1979.....Vetter compartment locked.....no key. Went to a local locksmith...he "picked" the lock to get it open and then installed a new locking mechinism WITH KEYS. Back then it only cost about $15.

·
Premium Member
8,072 Posts
imported post

Got mine rekeyed for 20 bucks for all three. didn't have a key locksmith made a new one and all done in less then two hours.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.