Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I'm pretty sure in saying this, someone please verify whether I'm correct or not.

The older Vetter fairings, were all approximately the same size, it just depends on the specific mount as to whether it would fit my 81 GL 1100 standard True or False?

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

the mounts are specific to bikes, the fairings are the same size

a mount for a 1000 will also fit an 1100.... however, there is no markings on the mounts to tell you what it is for, so you would need to know what on came off of (on ebay eg)

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

true

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thx Guys I suspected that.

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
imported post

rcmatt007 wrote:
the mounts are specific to bikes, the fairings are the same size

a mount for a 1000 will also fit an 1100....
Be careful with that, I just tested a Vetter mount from a 1000 on an 1100 frame to see if I could sell as fitting both and it was close, but not a perfect fit. The tubes going up to the steering head are different.

Jim

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
imported post

The two mounts I have are listed for 75-79 only. I think the 1100 down tubes are a bit further apart. So you could make it fit, just be sure you've got it centered both left to right as well as top to bottom

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
imported post

The mount I have is off a 77 GL1000 and I trial fit it on a 81 GL1100 frame.

The mounts fit the down tubes on the sides of the radiator fine on the 81 frame, but the upper mounts that clamp to the short tubes from the steering head are angled differently.

In a pinch I would probably use it, there would be 4 clamps on the lower mounts and that would take most of the weight. Then a couple clmps to steady the top mounts. They'reclose, but the angle is off. A person handy with cutter and welder could probably change it in a couple minutes.

A picture would be so much easier, but the 1100 frame was just sold and picked up last night.

Jim

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

rcmatt007 wrote:
are you looking at a fairing? or needing a mount?
Actually I'm wanting both, just trying to see how good a price on fleabay I can get. I see alot of them listed for other bikes, so I know if I bid I will have to get a mount for the 1100

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
imported post

vetter fairing mounts are distinctly different for the 1100 vs. the 1000 I know, as I bought a 1000 mount for my 1100 and it was not very close-this also means that I have a vetter mount for a gl1000 for sale-anyone interested, pm me!!

ducky

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

Ducky wrote:
vetter fairing mounts are distinctly different for the 1100 vs. the 1000 I know, as I bought a 1000 mount for my 1100 and it was not very close-this also means that I have a vetter mount for a gl1000 for sale-anyone interested, pm me!!

ducky
You may want to post it in the For sale/Wanted forum. More exposure.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
imported post

Ton,

THIS IS TRUE. THEY WILL FIT. Thats what I have on my 1980 Wing. The 80 will fit on an81.

Good Luck,

Nightrider1

luv2ride wrote:
I'm pretty sure in saying this, someone please verify whether I'm correct or not.

The older Vetter fairings, were all approximately the same size, it just depends on the specific mount as to whether it would fit my 81 GL 1100 standard True or False?

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
imported post

Guys,
I am working on a different mounting system for the windjammer/vetter fairings for the older wings. When I get this system perfected, you will be able to mount your fairing on your older (GL1000/GL1100) wing (without lowers, not sure if it will work with them) ONE TIME, and that's it. Once its mounted, when you need to do vehicle maintenance, you simply "unlock the fairing" and slide it forward till it stops. You will then have enough clearance to open the faux tank covers to check your wiring, your antifreeze, etc. So, that being said...I need to come across a "spare" mount that someone may have for a GL1000, and possibly a GL1100. The reason being, I have to figure out a way to lower the mount on the frame to keep the fairing in the same positon its already in...therefore I need to use the other 2 mounts to fabricat a new design. Does anyone have an extra one laying around that they can letgo of really cheap? Want to keep the overall costs on this project as low as possible, so when I get the finished product completed, I can pass it on to the group. Oh, and if anyone has any good lowers for a Windjammer III fairing, maybe I can figure out if this will work with the lowers attached! So, come on guys....anyone? ANYONE who can help? PM me if you can...thanks!

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

Post your request in the For Sale/Wanted forum too.

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
imported post

I have a few of the Vetter IIIs, one standard and two SS models if anyone is interested

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
imported post

I read somewhere that they did change the frame somewhat from the 1000 to 1100. Lowered slightly and slightly longer is what I understand happened. That would explain the difference in the down tubes.

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

well I found what I needed, ran into a guy on naked goldwing forum( good place to look for these parts because these guys are always pulling them off for customization) anyway free vetter ss with mount and harness but he didn't want to have to ship it and he lives in Pennslyvania, just so happens I'm heading to Boston on the 26th of december so I'm gonna pick it up. that's awesome. thx guys.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.