Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have located a Terraplane sidecar for my goldwing Aspencade. Do you think this would be a good match?

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

The Terraplane was a popular sidecar for the Goldwings when Vetter were making them. Very slim andsleek sidecar that didn't look like a brick and was well finished. If you managed to get one (I seen one on the web recently for $1500) at a good price then you did well.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks very much for the reply. I hope to get it in two weeks. Have not seen it yet and am anxious. I'll post a picture when I get it painted and set up on the bike.

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
imported post

Other replies posted are now three years old.

Have found an '80 Terraplane. Any idea what the current market value would be ?

Polkwing

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

the early terrapalnes had a problem with the upper mounting bolt (there is only one) not being strong enough and some of them broke.... other than that I always thought it was rather sleek looking, albeit a bit dated now a days.

btw, what year aspencade?

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

Here's the later Terraplane that I am familiar with. And a 1200 with a Vetter fairing, kinda cool....

Raymond

Attachments

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
imported post

rcmatt007 wrote:
the early terrapalnes had a problem with the upper mounting bolt (there is only one) not being strong enough and some of them broke.... other than that I always thought it was rather sleek looking, albeit a bit dated now a days.

btw, what year aspencade?

Okay, I'm stumped. What car is being shown here? This does not resemble any Vetter Terraplane I've ever seen,

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
imported post

Silicon Sam wrote:
Here's the later Terraplane that I am familiar with. And a 1200 with a Vetter fairing, kinda cool....

Raymond
This is the only Terraplane that Vetter Corporation produced. Craig Vetter designed and made several prototypes (about 4) and abandoned the project. The second owners of the Vetter company revived it and made only about 1000 of these. There is an '82 Goldwing with Terraplane on Ebay currently with only about 3400 miles on it. Last onth there was a terraplane sold on Ebay for about 700$usd but it was in sort of rough shape needing paint and upholstery. These turn up from time to time.

Getting in the car is rather unconventional. The top of the car is hinged on the outside edge and opens away from the bike necessitating the passenger to get into the car from between the bike and the car or over the bike. One might be able to mount from the outside if the top is down. It's sort of awkward. The top opening includes the passenger opening and extends behind it.

The Vetter Fairing shown is a type 5. The 4's, SS models and 5's were quite popular with the GW crowd. It's really easy to remount one if you find one worth remounting. Goldwing mounts are easy to find. The 4,5,and SS all had the front edge turning lamps. Only the 5 had the extra bib around the headlight. Theres lots of lowers around too but finding a set that hasn't been butchered isn't easy. Matching a set of lowers to a particular bike is even more difficult! Lowers for the 5 are different from all others and are slightly rare. These fairings weigh right at 40 pounds.

Although the Luftmeister was ripped off the Vetter design it is not a Vetter product.
The same is true of the Vetter Sound radio housings. The real deal is labeled Cycle Sound.

Be careful if you plan to buy a Vetter Windjammer and remount it, It's very common to find the fairing (not the bracket) cracked at the front mount point from collision or fall. Buying from Ebay is a crap shoot. People strip them for parts, misidentify parts and conceal faults by cropping the photos oddly or offering blurry photos that conceal damage.

Vetter also created the Hondaline fairing, It was not sold under the Vetter name.

TMI?

·
Premium Member
480 Posts
imported post

The photo is a 1200 Wing with a Motovation Spyder sidecar, not a Vetter.

Dauntless Motors I believe has parts available. Also, check out/join the United Sidecar Association. It is the national sc club. www.sidecar.com

Doug with an 82 Wing/Watsonian Monaco sidecar

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
imported post

Hi there. I just purchased what I think may just be the only Vetter Terraplane in Alaska... I have a 1977 GL1000 and am very excited to mount the sidecar to my bike for winter riding. I will post pics soon.

·
Premium Member
12,768 Posts
imported post

:waving:Hello and Welcome . I am sure a sidecar will be quite handy in Alaska . Enjoy the forum and visit often .

·
Premium Member
530 Posts
imported post

I had one it was on a gl1100,very cool looking side car,but i didnt like driving the bike with the car on so i sold it.

·
Premium Member
480 Posts
imported post

Driving a sidecar is different and takes time. I've had sidecars for over 30 years. It took a couple years to really enjoy it. But my wifw and son and I traveled all the 48 states on them. I sold my last one in 1996 I thought but after 6 months bought another as we missed traveling that way. My wife has arthrytis and it was hard for to ride on 2 wheels, Sidecar let keep riding.

·
Premium Member
1,317 Posts
imported post

I'm a bit confused. The photo above is definitely a Terraplane, the only Terraplane evr built. The comments above about type 4, type 5, SS etc. are related to the fairing, not the sidecar.
Here is a photo of a Motorvation Formula. The only thing they have in common is the pointed nose.

The Motorvation is a two passenger, the Vetter is barely a one passenger. The Terraplane opens to the side, like a coffin, while the Formula either flips forward to open, or cheaper ones don't open at all. You just climb over the top.

·
Premium Member
480 Posts
imported post

There was a photo up with the Motovation sidecar but was removed after I mentioned it, all pics shown are Vetters.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.