Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Ok, I tried the search and didn't come up with anything, so I'm posting here. The seals on my Vetter trunk and saddle bags are allowing water to get in. I read somewhere (can't remember where) that weather stripping does the trick. Well I tried that and it didn't work for me. So I'm open to suggestions. What has everyone else tried that worked, short of gluing them shut with silicone. One leaks so bad that I had to drill a drain hole to get all the water out.

·
Premium Member
3,770 Posts
imported post

go to www.craigvetter.com and ask Craig what to use. He is always willing to help and answer questions. If there's anyone alive who would know the answer/solution, I'd be willing to bet it'd be him.

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
imported post

I'm already hanging my head in shame but your sig inspired me to make this suggestion for you:

Duct Tape!

Sorry, I know it's no help but I couldn't resist.

I'm soooo ashamed.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
imported post

Rick, I found out while washing my Vetter stuff that the decorative panels on the sides have a plastic post that goes to the inside and a lock washer holds them in. Well those are not water tight. No matter what you do to the seals on top those will leak.

I took some black RTV and put a big glob on each one of those posts. I then went around and anywhere there was a hole, a wire, or anything penetrating I globbed it up with RTV.

Seems to work, no more water inside and I live up here in the Seattle area and ride rain or shine, it's my daily driver.

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
imported post

I know Vetter still offers some pieces and parts, they may still offer new seals. I'm with lopeha, e-mail Craig and see what they have.

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

I did email Craig, waitting for a response.

I know on the trunk water used to get in through the side panels, but I filled those with RTV, but it's still getting in and the seal is no long soft and making a good seal, same witht eh saddle bags. Which do not have the colored panels.

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

I got an answer from Craig vetter, he didn't have any real answers except that he'd have to look into redoing the seals, as I'm not the first one to have this problem. So, I guess those of us that still have these classic pieces are stuck with leaks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.