Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I have the old style Vetter fairing and cannot find a replacement windshield. My fairing does not have the turn signals built into it. I have found windshields for the newer model with built in signals though. The PO had a windshield made from thick plexi-glass. I would love to get some of that plexi-glass, but I don't know where to get it. Lowes just has the thin stuff. Any ideas on the plex-glass or where to get a real replacement? My current windshield got scuffed up when I was hauling it home. The PO covered it in plastic to keep the rain off and the plastic rubbed scuff marks on it that don't want to buff out.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,183 Posts
imported post

Try the Yellow pages for Plastic, Acrylics and Plexiglass distributors in your area. May have to go to Dayton in your neck of the woods.

Here in town I use Regal Plastics, but they are not in your area.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,272 Posts
imported post

Company in Gibson City, Illinois. They have a pattern for the early Vetter windshields. Precission Plastics. I think theirs run around $180. But a very hi quality windshield.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,734 Posts
imported post

have you check on the vetter web sight ? ?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,183 Posts
imported post

fletchman919 wrote:
I have the old style Vetter fairing and cannot find a replacement windshield. My fairing does not have the turn signals built into it. I have found windshields for the newer model with built in signals though.
According to the Vetter website, all Vetter Windjammer fairings use the same windshield.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,509 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
200 Posts
imported post

I make my own from 1/8" polycarbonate (Lexan). It's pretty flexible stuff so I just tape it in place and mark it with a sharpie. I cut it out with a pair of sheet metal shears. Because the material is more flexible than 1/4" acrylic it requires a brace to keep it from bending over at high speeds. I made the brace from heavy steel wire but aluminum bar stock would be more eligant. Run the brace between the two top mounting holes on the fairing. Cheap, tough, choose your own shape.

Q
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,234 Posts
imported post

you can use any of the replacement screens for sale. I know www.denniskirk.com and JcWhitney sell them. Slipstreamer?? makes one in 2 sizes and comes with or with out snapvents. these run cheaper than the ones on Craig Vetters site. I want to say they avg 60-80 depending on which one you get
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
imported post

Q wrote:
I make my own from 1/8" polycarbonate (Lexan). It's pretty flexible stuff so I just tape it in place and mark it with a sharpie. I cut it out with a pair of sheet metal shears. Because the material is more flexible than 1/4" acrylic it requires a brace to keep it from bending over at high speeds. I made the brace from heavy steel wire but aluminum bar stock would be more eligant. Run the brace between the two top mounting holes on the fairing. Cheap, tough, choose your own shape.

Q
I'm wanting to make my own as well. I want plexi-glass that's at least 3/16" though so it's pretty stable at high speeds. I have successfully cut plexi-glass with my band saw in the past, so it should be real easy to cut out. I'll next sand the edges with a belt sander, then drill the mounting holes. The PO had one made and I'm sure I can do a better job then they did. Their perimeter wasn't exact like I think I can get with a belt sander. I just need the material. My dad told me this weekend about one of his clients that makes plexi-glass in West Chester, OH. so I plan on contacting them. Thanks for the help! I'll post up when I find the material in case someone else is interested.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
200 Posts
imported post

One tip for making windshields out of acrylic is that once you get it cut out and the edges sanded you can flame polish the edges. All it takes is a quick pass with a propane torch at an angle so it doesn't blister. Best to practice first on a piece of scrap.

Q
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
imported post

Q wrote:
One tip for making windshields out of acrylic is that once you get it cut out and the edges sanded you can flame polish the edges. All it takes is a quick pass with a propane torch at an angle so it doesn't blister. Best to practice first on a piece of scrap.

Q
Okay! Good tip! :bowing:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1 Posts
imported post

fletchman919 wrote:
I have the old style Vetter fairing and cannot find a replacement windshield. My fairing does not have the turn signals built into it. I have found windshields for the newer model with built in signals though. The PO had a windshield made from thick plexi-glass. I would love to get some of that plexi-glass, but I don't know where to get it. Lowes just has the thin stuff. Any ideas on the plex-glass or where to get a real replacement? My current windshield got scuffed up when I was hauling it home. The PO covered it in plastic to keep the rain off and the plastic rubbed scuff marks on it that don't want to buff out.

I had my wind shield replaced last month. It's a plexiglass. It's so good. Here's the site below where I got it. Hope this may help. Have Fun!





windshield replacement
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top