Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I noticed a viberation in my 1500 and it is on deceleration and is always when slowing after a long period of at least 75 mph.I have just comleted a driveshaft spline/final drive service and all seemed to be in order (lubed every thing with Moly 60),dampers were good bike has 73k.U joint would be my first thought but it did not appear to have any slack.?

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
imported post

Hi I noticed this on my 2000 1500Se when i had her in 2005 and noticed slight vibration on decelerating, not too much but it was there. Checked tyres may be a fault stripped down and greased back end when replacing tyre etc. learnt to live with it. I had never noticed it on either of my previous 1500s. However moved to a new 1800 2 1/2years ago and never thought any more about it. Anyway at the end of last year decided to sell the 1800 and was offered my first 1500 back at a fair price and have spent the last few month rebuilding her. This weekend we went out for a ride and guess what? Slight vibration on de-ecceleration from high speed! May be they all have it? as I know all is new at the back end. so 1 bike with 7000 miles and 1 with 70000 miles on simular light/ or slight vibration. Unless you feel its more that this and all seems to be as it should be after normal checks i would not be to worried. Hope this helps?
Derek

Attachments

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
imported post

hi had the same problem with my 94 changed the u joint and the problem was solved the u joint i removed didn`t look in bad shape.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

You can also have that effect when lightly decelerating with the carbs unbalanced. Does it go away when you decelerate more aggessively?

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

I have a 99 1500SE, and it is triked.(MotorTrike) It had a vibration problem from day one. I found my particular problem was the drive line was out of balance on the spline end where the front and rear shafts go together. There were 32 grooves and I had to move it, (one spline at a time), to finally get it right on R&R # 16! It was exactly opposite from where it shoulda been.(90Degrees?) Anyway, the vibration stopped. It got terrible when I got about half way there, then gott less and less as I kept advancing the front shaft and test riding it. Later, I got a picture from someone here that showed EXACTLY where it should be, and I was right on! Dumb luck on my part.Maybe this would warrant looking at. Good luck, jimsjinx

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Thanks for all the reply's what a job it would be to move the u joint around.I would that any place on the spline would be fine,nothing in the manual about it?maybe it's where the wear pattern is?

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
imported post

Good evening. I have a 92 Wing and seem to be experiencing a similar vibration that you mentioned in an earlier post. Did you ever manage to find the problem. I haven't ridden any other Wings other than a 2009 that was glass smooth. Hollywood.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

check your swingarm bolt.... and the splines wear out on u-jounts and you get the vibes on a no-load threshold....i had it and put a new u-jount and adjusted the swingarm bolt...wasnt in all the way...made it perfect...but now 4 yrs later its still a slight vibe soo i keep it out of that threshold and all is good.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
imported post

Hey Grambo,

Thanks for the input. I will have to try and figure out how to get the driveshaft out. I put 1700 trouble free miles on her over Labor Day weekend ( 4 days Maine to Niagra and back). The vibration is always there when deceling from 65 mph and up. Pretty much anything below that is smooth as glass. Winter is coming and I will have more tinker time then.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

if you let off of the gas completely and it still vibes your splines are no good...if its just a threshold of no load on the shaft...in between on the pipe and off... you still got lotsa time left on it...mine is very minimal...if it was a concern i would do it up again...but i know what it is and no longer concerned...just dont linger in that threshold...also confirm tire balance and check the wh brngs when off....also the dampeners...but i replaced mine years ago and it wasnt the vibe problem

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

The front joint has to be 1 tooth foreward to get a balance. The book says to improve the velocity of the shaft/joint. Whatever that means! jimsjinx

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.