Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Older and Wiser
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

When I pull the front brake lever on my 1500 I can feel a horrible vibration orshudder from it. It doesn't happen when I press the rear brake pedal and the harder I pull the front lever the worse the shudder gets. I shined a torch into the brake pads and there looks to be lots of pad life left.

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

It's rare , but sometimes you can warp the disc?! Check it out?

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
imported post

Sounds like a classic case of warped disc. It will be the left one (as it doesn't shudder when the linked back brake is applied) as that one operates solely with the front lever. It's worthwhile checking the pads condition first just in case they are damaged, but more than likely the disc is warped.

·
Older and Wiser
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

You were right guys. Warped disc. New ones are not exactly cheap from Honda. Anyone know if aftemarket ones are available? Also, someone in the local diner reckons I can get the bad one skimmed and it will be okay. Any opinions on that road (I can get it skimmewd for about $25).

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
imported post

A new 1500 disc is available in the US for around $185. I'm not sure about skimming the old one, is there enough material availabe for them to be skimmed successfully.?

·
Premium Member
7,190 Posts
imported post

Skimming brake discs is not reccomended on a motorcycle disc. The discs are already too thin (compared to a car disc) and don't allow for much meat to be skimmed off. Anyway, the reason they warp in the first place is because of heat (either from old age or more often because the pads wore down too far at some stage). Skimming doesn't last very long because the discs resistance to heat will be diminished at that stage and it will just warp again later on. $25 for skimming plus saytwo hours labour (for the work and running to the skimming shop, also not many shops will skim bike discs for the reasons already mentioned) at perhaps $70 brings it up to almost $100. Even if you do the removal and refitting yourself you have to allow for what your time is worth. Bearing in mind that the disc will warp again in a couple of months you would probably be just throwing your $100 down the pan. You get a warranty with a new disc but none with skimming.
I've had lots of car brake discs skimmed forcustomers in the past (taxi drivers often insist on it to save the expense of a new disc) and I alwaystell themthat unless they are selling the car they are better off with a new disc as they are just delaying the inevitable. They rarely listen and end up buying a new disc a few months later when the skimmed one gives up the ghost again. It was all the go years ago when new brake discs were horribly expensive, but most discs for cars are a fraction of the price of ten or fifteen years back. Just a pity that bike discs haven't fallen in price as well!
Don't be surprised ifmost engineering shops send you packing when you ask them to skim the disc. Most of the ones I know won't touch a bike disc because they are afraid it will overheat and maybe crack or break and perhaps boomerang back to the shop with a lawsuit attached!

By the way, whether you get the disc skimmed or buy a new one, remember to fit new pads as well so to bed it all in properly.

·
Older and Wiser
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

I sourced a new disc for $158, including shipping. Thanks to everyone for their help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.