Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My new wing developed a vibration that begins about 2500/3000rpm. Its like trying to hold onto an orbital sander, andI feel it to a lesser degree in thefoot-pegs and through the seat. Took it to thedealer, who claimed to check the steering &engine mounts.They could not find the source andsuggested I put the stock grips back on, which I did,and that didn't solve the problem.Any suggestions beforeI take it back to Honda.

TC

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Hey Mr Peabody :waving: Your very welcome to the forum. :clapper: This is the first time i have ever heard of the problem that you describe. :stumped: I would bring the :18red:back to the Stealer and let them sort it out.

:weightlifter::18red::weightlifter:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Mr. Peabody wrote:
My new wing developed a vibration that begins about 2500/3000rpm. Its like trying to hold onto an orbital sander, andI feel it to a lesser degree in thefoot-pegs and through the seat. Took it to thedealer, who claimed to check the steering &engine mounts.They could not find the source andsuggested I put the stock grips back on, which I did,and that didn't solve the problem.Any suggestions beforeI take it back to Honda.

TC
Yeah, take it back to them, you spent a lot of money and shouldn't have a problem like this, it's up to them to fix it not fob you off. If necessary find another shop that takes things more seriously and if that doesn't work it's time to escalate the matter up the chain of command at Honda.

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

Hello TC, welcome to the forum.:D It's probably the alternator on teh way out. I've heard of a couple of cases like this and it will need attending to. Just dump the bike back at the dealer and tell him not to call you until it's fixed and ready to go.

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

Mr. Peabody wrote:
TC, I believe there are (were) weights in the handlebar ends for vibration reduction. Not real sure on the 1800 but most do. Any chance those are now missing from the original grip change?

If all OK on the bar weights (or the 1800 doesn't use them) then you have a problem.

Either the triple clamps or bearings are loose, the bars are not mounted correctly or are coming loose, or you have some engine mounts coming loose, or you have something grounding out between the engine & the bike frame (like exhaust pipes or something under the bike bent into the engine. OR, you are developing internal engine problems.

Get it looked at again (preferably by another shop). Also try to think back to when the problem first started. Did you add anything, or make any changes, or have it serviced about that time?

Twisty

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Thanks to all for the response. I called Honda Corp and expressed my complaint about the vibration, and especially the lack of interest from service dept. where I bought the wing. The Honda Rep told me I would have to remove every after market add-on, back to stock if the bike was returned.For peace of mind I removed my Kuri Grips,rotor covers, lower cowing and fog lights, even the plastic side covers, andit continued to buzz/vibrate in grips and foot pegs, so I'm convienced itsin the motor, yet it runs so incredibly well, at 40+ mpg's. At this juncture I miss my 1500, which never gave me a problem.

Thanks again

Mr. Peabody

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

Mr. Peabody wrote:
My new wing developed a vibration that begins about 2500/3000rpm. Its like trying to hold onto an orbital sander, and I feel it to a lesser degree in the foot-pegs and through the seat. Took it to the dealer, who claimed to check the steering & engine mounts. They could not find the source and suggested I put the stock grips back on, which I did, and that didn't solve the problem. Any suggestions before I take it back to Honda.

TC
you know, my harley has a similar vibration... but really smooths out above 55 mph

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

rcmatt007 wrote:
you know, my harley has a similar vibration... but really smooths out above 55 mph
Comparitively speaking!

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
imported post

Are you using the original tires, and what mileage do they have on it? Are you sure your front/rear tires aren't cupping or already cupped? That will cause alot of wobble also, similar to what you are experiencing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.