Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Ihave just upgraded from a Pan European to a 1997 1500 se uk spec. The problem is I have a slight vibration through the break lever when the breaks are lightly depressed, atany speed, the problem is'nt evedent on good road surfaces ( when you can find them) whendriven over road humps ( sleeping police men) at walking pace, the front end bottoms out. the bike has 17500 genuine miles on the clock. I can apply body pressure to the forks and forks depress and return under my weight 16 stone The local Honda dealer, wanted to srip the front end down,as he didnt have a clue. Can any body help

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
imported post

If the front bottoms out that easily you will probably simply need to get the fork oil replaced.

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

Thanks Jason, Regarding the slight vibration Should I suspect there could bea problem with the bearings in the steering, it is only slight but annoying, its not the wheel as I had that re balanced as my first thought. Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
imported post

Shudder through the brake lever usually indicates a warped brake disk. Worn steering bearings would give more of a single clunk when you brake, not a continual vibration.

Bad or low fork oil put a severe load on the front end. It would be a very good idea just to get this done first and then see how you get on.

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

Jason

Ive booked the bike in for an oil change, I was quoted between £45 and £100 at

different bike shops the Honda dealer quoted the cheapest @ £45. Is this the going

rate?

Any comparison quotes please.

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

Thanks Jason

Got the fork oil changed, the bike handles 100% better, Cant believe the charge

from a Honda dealer £19.00. Quotes from other dealers upto £100.

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
imported post

manxblackcat wrote:
Cant believe the charge from a Honda dealer £19.00. Quotes from other dealers upto £100.
£19? Thats amazingly cheap. The fork oil alone must be worth £5 out of that. I doubt you will get it done at that price ever again! :grinner:

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
imported post

manxblackcat wrote:
Thanks Jason

Got the fork oil changed, the bike handles 100% better
Well done. Low or bad fork oil causes more problems than people realize, most front-end problems are related to this. Glad you got sorted. To everyone else out there, get your fork oil changed every two years without fail! :clapper:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.