Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Have a vibration (slight but continous) when slowing down. Possible u-joint? how hard to rebuild or replace. Also what is the avereage top speed on gl1500? My top speed is 115mph is that right? Also what is average fuel mileage? I got 33 mpg on 1200 mile trip loaded riding 2-up is that normal? thanks for all input

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
imported post

The vibration could be spline lubrication or u joint issues when it happen on deceleration. GL 1500 between 115 and 125mph depends on windshield type. An average mpg is very dependant on load and riding style. My 99,2 up with a trailer loaded nicely 300lbs including trailer with no load but people on the bike averaged 40 mpg on a 5000 mile cali to Canada trip, 70 mph avg. Hope the info helps. Speed effects mpg dramatically, your pushing a- lot of bike.

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
imported post

When I bought my 1200 wing, I moved from a bike with a V-4 engine and rubber motor mounts to a horizontal 4 with solid motor mounts and immediately noticed the vibration on deceleration. The only time it occurred was on deceleration and it never worsened. I kept the 1200 for several years before upgrading to a 1500 with 10,000 actual miles. On the test drive of the 1500, I immediately noticed the familiar mild vibration on deceleration. The 1500 also has solid motor mounts. Unless you have a lot of miles on the bike, I suspect you are feeling the vibration from the horizontal cylinder configuration on Goldwings passing through the solid motor mounts and into the frame. If so, it won't get any worse. If it does happen to be a mechanical issue, it will worsen with additional mileage.

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
imported post

how hard is it to replace u-joint

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
imported post

I just replaced the u joint in my 98. It's not that hard but you do have to have some mechanical aptitude. Not for the beginner who struggles with a scewdriver. Whole back half of bike needs to come off. Back tire removed, shocks removed. Depends on year of Wing. 97 and newer had bigger u joint so swingarm on those years has to be moved back to get the joint out. Best is to get the factory service manual. It tells you what needs to be done. The new u joint you get will be the upgraded part and you need to get the bigger Valkyrie boot also. I also replaced both rear wheel bearings too. Smooth as new after all is said and done. Lot's of info on this site. Great people that have a plethora of knowledge on the Gold Wing. Ride ON....................

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
imported post

I would suggest you replace the drive rubbers for the alternator before trying anything else.Easy job to do and cheap parts and a common cause of vibration on the GL1500.

Regards Steve

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

ALREADY REPLACED RUBBERS FOR ALTERNATOR. INSTALLED NEW COMP-U-FIRE.

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
imported post

just resarecting this thread i have a vibration on de accelaration but only if i hold th throttle just below the point wher i maintains the speed. as i role the throttle back slightly i can maintaint the vibration. however it goes away when the throttle is rolled back more to slow down. any comments would be good, by the way new bairings at front and back last june year

sorry guys found a thread that covers this :action:

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
imported post

I would look towards the splines on the drive shaft. Usually when vibration is controlled through throttle position its drive shaft. Moly 60 or better on the splines for lubrication.

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,610 Posts
imported post

siebo wrote:
.............. Also what is the avereage top speed on gl1500? My top speed is 115mph is that right? Also what is average fuel mileage? I got 33 mpg on 1200 mile trip loaded riding 2-up is that normal? thanks for all input
115ish is about right for the top speed. This will be highly dependent on how tall/wide the windshield is.

And yes, 33 mpg is just exactly what my bike averaged over a 3,000 mile trip full of foolish speeds and slow coastal jaunts. Logged every drop in the fuel tank, and used the odometer for the trip mileage on computations.

You can download the file here:

https://rcpt.yousendit.com/1137047235/4e97e2526767b3068801d983c5462753

·
Premium Member
675 Posts
imported post

In my experience the first place to look is your front tire. On my '98, when the front tire gets worn and cupped, I get a vibration on decel.

Other suggestions make sense too, but if your tire is worn, I would start there.

Good luck!

T.

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
imported post

akwright - what you described is exactly what I felt in the 1200 and now with the 1500. It only occurs for about 500 rpm as the motor began to slow down. BTW, both of the bikes were almost new when I bought them - each with about 10,000 miles, so I'm certain that wasn't items subject to wearing out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.