Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi, all. A few months ago I posted a message regarding a vibration/ oscillatiion picked up in the bars of my 1989 gl1500 when travelling at speeds of 80/85 mph and above. I recieved a good few suggestions as to what may be causing this, however I still have the problem. I have tried the following:

1) steering head bearings checked/ tightened.

2) fork oil changed (progressive springs with 15w oil)

3) Tires balanced and wheel bearings checked

I am beginning to think this may be a tyre problem, although the Avon Venom x tyres are still in reletively good condition, with no signs of cupping etc. The other thought running through my head is that maybe this is common to progressive fork springs with 15wt oil, and perhaps 10wt may be better. I like the handling of the bike with the 15wt. Any comments from owners who have installed the progressives?. The vibration definately increases with rise in overall speed and is not RPM related, as I would have noticed when accelerating through the gears.

Thanks in advance

Joe

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
imported post

No vibes on mine with progressives installed ftont and rear.

The Metzlers ME-880's were the smoothest and the Dunlop E-II's are OK.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

1993 Aspy with Progressive springs no vibes with old EIIs or new EIIIs. Maybe you have a slightly unbalanced tire on the front?

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

Paul, how do those III's sound at about 60-75? My II's on the fronts sure seem noisy! And the Metzler 880's in the backs of both, are fairly noisy. Seem to come in at about 60

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Oregonwinger wrote:
Paul, how do those III's sound at about 60-75? My II's on the fronts sure seem noisy! And the Metzler 880's in the backs of both, are fairly noisy. Seem to come in at about 60
I haven't really noticed much noise from them at highway speeds, once in a while on secondary roads aroun 50-55 I hear a bit depending on the asphalt condition. I do get a weird warbling sound (that's what made me pull my alternator for a look) at times around 20-25. It started when I put the new tires on so I'm pretty sure that's where it's coming from. But all in all I'm satisfied with them, getting rid of the wobblies was worth a little noise once in a while.

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

Speaking of 1500 alt., did I tell you I pulled mine at 34,000, and the rear bearing was absolutely dry. Brushes were very good, tho. I pop'd (doesn't look like it's spelled right, LOL) the seal off brg, and re-lubed with some hi-heat moly. All is well. I pulled the cam belt covers to look at belts. Boy, were they loose! Hitting the covers. I tightened them up for now, while awaiting new ones. Even tho I was careful, they have a howl that comes in at 1700. GRRRRRRR :thumpingmad:I guess I'll fix it with the new ones. I see that the teeth are rounded, but so are the grooves in pulleys.

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

Eddie. They are balanced. The sound varies dramatically, depending on type of surface. Concrete is usually a lot quieter.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

scotwing wrote:
Hi, all. A few months ago I posted a message regarding a vibration/ oscillatiion picked up in the bars of my 1989 gl1500 when travelling at speeds of 80/85 mph and above. I recieved a good few suggestions as to what may be causing this, however I still have the problem. I am beginning to think this may be a tyre problem, although the Avon Venom x tyres are still in reletively good condition, with no signs of cupping etc. The other thought running through my head is that maybe this is common to progressive fork springs with 15wt oil, and perhaps 10wt may be better. I like the handling of the bike with the 15wt. Any comments from owners who have installed the progressives?. The vibration definately increases with rise in overall speed and is not RPM related, as I would have noticed when accelerating through the gears.

Thanks in advance

Joe
I'd tend to suspect tyres (damn got me doing it). I have Progressive springs in my bike (93) and it runs prettysmoothly at 100mph no vibes from the bike, can't say the same for the road. I've got ATF in the forks, probably somewhere around SAE 10-15.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.