Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

This hiker was "almost" mauled by this "almost" vicious attack from a Polar Bear.

:D

I would have been looking for a better close up lens :action:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,097 Posts
imported post

I can't imagine the feeling one would have, being miles from no where in the desolate ice of the extreme north, seeing his momma coming at you with a hungry look in her eyes. :stumped:

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
imported post

"Look maw, I caught one, come see..."

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

lostinflorida wrote:
I can't imagine the feeling one would have, being miles from no where in the desolate ice of the extreme north, seeing his momma coming at you with a hungry look in her eyes. :stumped:
Having been an assistant guide polar bear hunting on the Chuckchi Sea ice I can tell you it isn't necessary to have an enraged momma bear coming after you. To a polar bear all the critters on the ice are food, including hunters. They will come to you, you don't really have to go after them once they've spotted you. I knew one guide who was knocked down by a panicked dude (what we called the customers on guided hunts) and was killed by a fair to middling sized boar before he could grab his rifle and get up. The back up pilot in the second airplane killed the bear and rescued the dude but the guide's body was left on the ice because the Super Cub couldn't get off the pan with that much load. I've never seen cubs close up, they are cute but adult polar bears are definitely something to fear if you don't have a good rifle in your hands.

·
Premium Member
2,642 Posts
imported post

Scary part is they will sneak up on you.......

·
Premium Member
6,097 Posts
imported post

I have to give the polar bear my greatest respect.

It's hard to imagine walking to the waters edge, it being almost freezing and starting to swim knowing that your destination might be 60 miles away across open water.

I have seen programs on them saying they can smell prey miles away.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.