Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Today turned out to be a dandy. Beautiful weather and having the day off was the perfect combination for working on the wing. Plus, I was prepping her for a road trip from Houston to Dallas and back tomorrow.
First, the victory. Last year, the tach died and with the advice of several on this forum, I did my best to trouble shoot the problem. In the end, I concluded the tach had simply assumed room temperature and what the heck, I could ride without it. A couple of weeks ago, I scored a good used tach on ebay so, today I made the decision to replace it. Tearing
down everything wasn't too bad and with the replacement tach installed, I twisted the winding stem and...........VICTORY........I had a functioning tach!!!!

An hour later, I had her all buttoned up so I took the time to prep her for the trip. Clean windshield, function checked all lights and last.........air pressure check. Front had 41 psi, rear had 10psi........that got my attention. I soon discovered a bright shiny nail embedded in the center of the tread.........the agony of defeat.......no road trip tomorrow.

I've been considering the CT option for a rear tire so, looks like I'm one step closer to doing so. Just have to decide what brand/size to use.

I really was looking forward to an all day throttle therapy session but looks like I'll be taking a rain check for now.

Thanks for letting me vent..........

·
Administrator
26,577 Posts
imported post

I would plug the tire and ride it. Don't know what the phobia about plugging a motorcycle tire is but if they are so flimsy they can't be plugged it's amazing anyone survives riding them. JMHO (maybe that's why I went to the dark side).

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

I haven't had time to do a report of my summer trip out to NASSIR-4 this past July. But to make a long story short. Dusty and I were just riding up into the Big Horn Mountains when I got a peice of sharp stone (think it was flint) in my tire.

What else could I do but plug it.

I now have somewhere between 3-4,000 miles on that plug.

The puncture was center of the tread, and the tire is an E-3 with 11-12,000 miles on it.

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Well fella's, I just did the same thing. Bought a tire repair kit, removed the offending 1/2 broken wood screw, and plugged the tire. Was dead center in the tread, tire only has about 7K miles on it. Dunlop E3.
Put 42 psi in it, did the spit test (no leak) and I'll keep an eye on it tonight.
As for tomorrow.................I RIDE!!
Thanks

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

Well,,,,,,,,,, don't forget it. I always check the pressure now just because I know the plug is there. And it does leak down several lbs after more then a week.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Might not be the plug leaking. You're checking the tires more often now and might have missed a couple pounds down when you weren't so assiduous. I have a rear tire that will go a month or two without losing a pound and then over a few days might lose 2psi. Or not.

Who knows?:?

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

I know the ramifications of pluggin MC tires, but my budget has dictated me doing it several times! Never had a failure.(knock on wood). Happy riding. jimsjinx

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
imported post

exavid, assiduous?

You lookin at me??

;)

·
Premium Member
8,242 Posts
imported post

I have had to plug a MC tire several times over many years, always worked well for me, never knew it was even plugged. Plug it and ride. I have never had that problem with my CT so far. Granted I have only a couple 2 years now on a CT now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.