Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I sold my 07 goldwing, fully loaded, and bought a Victory CCT after a couple of demo rides. On a touring bike comfort I think is the main concern and the CCT has the wing beat hands down. You seem to be "in" the bike on the CCT, very comfortable riding position, 18 inch floor boards which gives you enough riding positions to keep you going for miles. The stock seat works for me very well. The design is very clean, clutter free and a toggle switch lets you navigate all the important information in seconds. Heated seat is better than the wings, which never seemed to get beyond just warm. This is NOT a Harley V-twin, its a modern design and the engine seems bullet proof, and you can see a comparison between harley and victory motor by Dave shultz of Arizona Victory on youtube, big difference. Oil changes are every 5000 miles and are super simple to do with easy access to oil filter. The bike handles amazing for a bike of its size and it will out handle a wing in the twisties. Suspension changes are as easy as adding abit of air to rear shock with a small hand pump, matter of seconds. You get a chart to mach PSI in shock to what ever you are hauling. My wife prefers the Victory over the wings passenger accomodations, althought the wings backrest is better, the victory seat is very good and no matter where the shield was on the wing she always had to crouch over abit to avoid buffeting. Not an issue with the CCT and she can fully recline back. An added bonus is you can remove the rear trunk in a minutes, also the saddlebags. If you want a complete different ride you can put in smaller shield, remove front lowers and trunk for a complete different ride in less than a hour, and great for hot weather riding. The Victory wind management system works very good and takes heat away and brings air in to rider.

The Victory engine is solid mounted and sends slight vibration but nothing unbearable and just lets you know you are on a motorcycle not a civic. Again this is not a harley which I test rode as well and nearly shook your teeth loose at the stop lights. I added a stage 1 kit which changes air filter, exhaust and mapping of EFI, adds a little bitmore zip and a slightly louder exhaust, but nothing unbearable, just a pleasant mellow sound which you can rides 8 hrs without it bothering you at all. The wing definitely has the edge on acceleration and smoothness, and power on tap. The fuel guage on the CCT isnot the greatest and you can ride 75 miles before it begins to move, but you easily get 230 miles or abit more per tank full, with a few thousand miles and cruising between 60-70 miles per hour you can get close to 50 mpg. The transmission is very positive shifting but has a loud clank to it. IN summer heat you do feel abit more heat from the engine if you are in stop and go traffic, the wings engine is lower and out in front of you plus water cooled. This will be the biggest issue with wing owners going from the 6 cylinder to a twin, if you can get beyond that and take a test ride you might be surprised.

This is my first V-twin in 15 yrs and enjoying the feel of this bike, feels like a motorcycle, handles very well and if you can get past the looks the Victory Vision is even better ride. I just couldn't get past the looks, but most who test ride it buy it. Honda needs to do a major overhaul on there wing, I was very skeptical on selling my wing for theCCT but now that I have it glad I made the change and took a chance, apart from a little less [email protected] its a simple easy bike to live with and still has more than enough juice. I was surprised how many wing riders were at Victory demo rides, guess that says a lot.

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
imported post

silverbird wrote:
This is my first V-twin in 15 yrs and enjoying the feel of this bike, feels like a motorcycle, handles very well and if you can get past the looks the Victory Vision is even better ride. I just couldn't get past the looks, but most who test ride it buy it. Honda needs to do a major overhaul on there wing, I was very skeptical on selling my with for theCCT but now that I have it glad I made the change and took a chance, apart from a little less [email protected] its a simple easy bike to live with and still has more than enough juice. I was surprised how many wing riders were at Victory demo rides, guess that says a lot.
http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-news/statistics/motorcycle-sales-statistics.htm

Interesting opinion. Whiles sales numbers of metric bikes would indicate just the opposite. The Japanese have taken more market share in 2011 over 2010.

>>>>>>Action

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
imported post

In Oct Im going to rent A CCT and then A Vision for a road test ( 150.00 per day / 250 miles ) a 20 min ride just doesnt cut it .

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
imported post

I think the vision will blow you away with how comfortable it is especially on the highway and the electric windshield. If you can get past the looks and the smaller saddlebags think you will be impressed. Rumor is there going to change the rear of the Vision to make rear saddlebags bigger and add LED lights like on the tour. Very bright at night.

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
imported post

Who are you trying to convince it's a better bike,me or you?Bottom line...it's air cooled and the motor won't even last half as long as a Wing motor(not to mention the vibration you mentioned).Not a big deal if you deal every couple of years,but really?Add to that it's really,really butt ugly.Also Polaris is moving a lot of their manufactureing to Mexico.Is that where the Victory is put together?I know their atv quality is hurting because of this.

I do like the idea of the electric windsheild,but other than that I'll stick with a Wing.

·
Premium Member
1,672 Posts
imported post

I'm with you Chris. I bought the wing because it is exactly what I want. I am not in the market for an alternative. If I wanted something styled for George Jetson and made by a snowmobile manufacturer...I suppose I'd have bought one.

·
Premium Member
574 Posts
imported post

I pass some one who owns a Vision every morning can't say I'm sold on the style. But like the looks of the CCT. Hope you have a lot of great trips with it. If I happen to see him on the way home he's just like a HD rider never a wave. OH Well

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

Not sure what to say. The Victory has it's pros and cons. It is an air cooled engine, and will not last as long as a Goldwing, but the price for a base model comes in at under $20K, which would be a big plus for me, as I am too old to ever wear it out anyway. It's biggest plus besides price would seem to be a lack of electronic gadgetry, which I definitely like. I seem to be the only one out there with any interest in a no frills base model Goldwing. No gadgets, not even a stereo. But I don't think they are going to build just one specially for me.

With regard to the engine, the Victory has a huge disadvantage over the 1500 and older Goldwings because it has cam chains that you have to tear the whole motor apart to replace. And it has been my experience that the cam chains are the first thing to fail in any engine that has them, including car engines. Belts fail too, but they were designed as a replaceable maintenance item. If the cam chains on the 1800 Goldwing cannot be replaced without tearing the engine down, I'm glad I don't own one. Harley even shortened the life of their Twin Cam engine by using chain driven cams, though they can be replaced fairly easily, and if I owned one, I would replace the chain every 20,000 miles or so, or replace it with a very expensive aftermarket gear drive.

I'm kind of caught in a bad spot with regard for my feelings about Goldwings. I absolutely love the base model and Interstate versions of the 1000, 1100, and 1200, Have mixed feelings about the 1500, and don't really care for the 1800.

Neither Victory (Polaris) nor Honda really supports their bikes very well, after about 10 years parts start becoming hard to get. Victory has definitely copied the Japanese design model in that regard. They claim to be competing with Harley, as "the other" American brand. Yet they are following the "disposable" philosophy practiced by the Japanese.

·
Premium Member
12,868 Posts
imported post

Silverbird , thanks for the review of your bike . There is no need for the piling on about your preference of a bike. We all have bikes to get out in the breeze and have different needs. I glad your happy with the CCT . I hope you have very many miles of good service and enjoy the passing scenery .

·
Administrator
27,897 Posts
imported post

I want to hear what you think in 5 years.

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
imported post

Sat on a Victory at the dealers... the salesmen was saying the local Police just bought some for the reason ..slow speed handling and they can stop the bike and just let it go.... it just falls over and doesn't hurt anything ... he said it is also easy to pick up ..the seating position seemed ok just sitting on it..
could not get over the styling though to the point I may be embarrassed to be seen on this thing

I took one for a test ride ...it was not as comfortable as my 1800 for me ..acceleration just plain sucked bigtime...kept on having a vision of me being back on my Honda shadow:surprised:

the handling seemed about the same as my wing with maybe a slight edge to the Victoria at slow speeds ....at higher speeds the Victory lacked that rock solid feel of my wing

for long range touring I don't no how you can compare this to a wing cause to me my 2001 1800 beat the Victory hands down

I guess it boils down to if you like V twins and there shortcomings .. a personnel Joice and everyone's different .

·
Premium Member
1,547 Posts
imported post

It is your bike, your money, and your comfort zone. Since you are happy with it, ride long and often.

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
imported post

I just bought a Vision and also kept my Wing. The Wing may go on the For Sale list. 2 different types of bikes. The Vision has a lot going for it with some things I like better than the Wing. Lots more foot room and comfort. I'm cramped on an 1800 with the fairing too close and my knees hit. A bit more knee room on the 1500 but a ton more room on the Vision. Better wind protection with the Vision than either 1500/1800. I immediately liked the power windshield with 7" adjustment. Up for those windy highway rides and touch the button to lower for in town. Rides and handles really well. 5 yr/100,000 mile power train warranty.
They are no plans to move their plant to Mexico. They're built in Iowa. Company is based in Minnesota.
It's not a Harley. The engine is nothing like a Harley engine other than being a V twin. The Vic engine uses overhead cams with hydraulic lifters. Being air cooled it probably won't last as long as a Wing engine but then at my age I won't last as long as a Wing engine either. But the Vic engine has already proven that it will way outlast the HD engine before ever needing a wrench. The transmission is not like a Harley. The transmission is gear not chain driven.
It does not have the Harley shake. The only time I notice the vibration is when I get off the Wing and immediately get on the Vision then I notice just a bit but I have to be thinking about it or don't even notice it. It's not anything like a Harley vibration.
I agree with Silverbird review. I also looked at the CCT but settled on the Vision. The CCT has a lot more storage but couldn't pass up the price on the Vision. Bought a new 2011 Vision for $16K and dealer threw in lowers, trunk rack, passenger arm rests.
Is it better than a Wing? It's not a Wing but then a Wing isn't a Vic. Some things on the Vision I like a whole lot better than a Wing. Some things from the Wing I miss. Don't knock one tho until you actually ride one.

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
imported post

This is just my opinion and I am not brand loyal. I have owned every brand of bike other than european brands. I have had the CBR1100XX, VFR800, CBR954RR, CBR600, GL1800, so as you can see honda is been my bike of choice.

My opinion is based mostly on comfort which is a big part of touring bike and the wing limits that because of its engine design and sitting position. I also like the clean layout without all the buttons. So far I can't complain, coming from a sportbikes and my last bike before the wing was a ZX14 I tend to ride the bikes hard and I have had no issues. I like bikes simple, I did look at the BMW K1600GTL but it was over the top with electronics for my taste. Within the first 15,000 kilometers on the wing my stereo amplifier blew up and my cruise control went south. Its a motorcycle keep it simple.

I don't tend to keep bikes for more than a few years before moving on because there is always something new and exciting coming out, and to me the best bike is one that is trouble free and doesn't leave you on the side of the road.

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
imported post

interesting topic as I was just at a victory dealer with a friend over the weekend. I looked hard at the cross country and honestly my next scoot will be between a wing and the cross country. But then again, I am such a fan of the 1500, there is no telling when the next scoot will appear for me.

A couple of things about the victory, someone said it is solid mounted. no its a rubber mounted motor. the victory I saw did not have any significant vibration at all. it was not as smooth as the wing however.

I also looked at a harley ultra classic with the big rhine hart pipes on it. too small and way too much vibration for me now. I think I have been spoiled by the wing.

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
imported post

I have crossed a thresh hold in my life where I seek comfort with my thrill.

Fat seat for my fat behind, foam grips, fat tires for a smooth ride, adjustable air ride suspension for the same reason, gauges so I know before the ride is over that I need to take some action. (Hey your gonna run out of gas you only have .7 of a gal left) Cruise control, stereo, and storage so I can take stuff with me rounds out the package for me. Oh, the sound!!!! Yeah I don't want any.

>>>>>>>Action

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
imported post

ActionSEi wrote:
I have crossed a thresh hold in my life where I seek comfort with my thrill.

Fat seat for my fat behind, foam grips, fat tires for a smooth ride, adjustable air ride suspension for the same reason, gauges so I know before the ride is over that I need to take some action. (Hey your gonna run out of gas you only have .7 of a gal left) Cruise control, stereo, and storage so I can take stuff with me rounds out the package for me. Oh, the sound!!!! Yeah I don't want any.

>>>>>>>Action
Sounds like you're going to go with a Vision then next time.

Twice the foam in the seat.

Heated grips - standard.

Heated seats - standard.

Air adjustable ride suspension - standard

Gauges including a true volt meter.

Info center to give you MPG, instant MPG, average MPH, 2 trips, temp, etc.

Gear indicator showing all 6 gears, not just overdrive.

Warning when you have 1 gallon left.

Cruise - standard

ABS - standard

Stereo with WX - standard

Larger trunk

Electric windshield - 7" adjustment. No need to stop and slide the windshield manually.

Lower seat so easier to mount and dismount which I really appreciate at my age.

No loud exhaust unless you want to swap exhausts. Stock exhaust isn't that much louder than any of my Wings. I don't want the noise either.

I've been riding Wings since 1978. Had 1000s, 1200, 1500, and 1800. Still have my 1500. Rode 750 Hondas and Suzukis before that and various 650s before that since 1968. Ridden in 34 states and Canada, none of it trailered. So I'm not a stranger to 2 wheelers and I too put more on comfort than thrill. Had more than enough 'thrill' in my life and don't care to have more.

People downplay the Victory because they automatically lump it in with Harleys and then throw in things like "they're too loud", "they shake too much", etc. Just shows they haven't ridden a Vic orknow what they're talking about. It's not the same bike as a HD. Completely different design and build.

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
imported post

All boils down to... Honda has to get in gear and catch up.
Great review of the Cross Country. I always thought it was a better choice than the Vision.
A couple things I have on my "has to have" list however is... Regular gas, and a center stand. Shaft drive is also far easier for rear tire repair and change. I tend to keep my wheels for the long haul.
I kinda laugh at the salesman saying that police like the Victory because they can jump off and they fall over with out damage. I have friends who are motor officers and that is something that is really not a issue for them. Buttt it makes for great salesman BS. Oh wait... do salesmen actually BS?
Ride what you like and enjoy. That is the best thing.

Corventure Dave

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
imported post

You know, I see the cross country and the vision as competitors with the harley tourers not the goldwing. I really do not even see the new BMW as competing with the goldwing. the bikes are just too different.

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
imported post

corventure wrote:
I kinda laugh at the salesman saying that police like the Victory because they can jump off and they fall over with out damage. I have friends who are motor officers and that is something that is really not a issue for them.
I can speak from actual experience on this. Having commanded motor units damage and repair is a consideration. Not all BS. We definitely look at repair cost forecasts. The hump riding it probably doesn't know anything about such since they aren't in on the decision making. Anyone who has been involved in procurement understands that repair forecasts is very much a consideration.

But then we were getting our HDs for $1/yr lease. For $1/yr I could afford to replace a few running boards, mirrors, etc.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.