Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
81 - 94 of 94 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,176 Posts
Yep welcome

I like many others here have had a number of different bikes from AJS to Zundap everyone one of them I owned was the best bike you could buy and own(at the time to me) even my 52 K model(Insert laughter). When I was younger they all broke in some way or another. As I got older they all worked and held up better. The HD's I had were not a bad bike just didn't like the riding comfort since I like to ride long distances( Two years ago 13,600 around the US) Rode around Europe on a 74 Commando I bought from the Canadian PX in Baden Baden and took delivery at Kurd Korners in Darmstadt. Thought it was a swell bike until I was nearly run over on The Autobahn. I look back and think sexy Bike but man it wasn't a touring bike..Since then I have had 'em all Last being a Glide then a 84 Ninja(sucker was fast as hell) another HD a Sportster(Not a Skirtster) that was no god for long travel..Never gave GW much thought until a friend who is a retired Cop I was in VN with came tooling up from Bakersfield on his 84 1200I. I rode it and thought wow this thing is more comfortable then anything I have ever ridden and handles well. Sooooo..I started looking..he found one for me in Bakersfield so I headed over there and trailered it back to AZ.. I have had it since do maint on it all the time keep the fluids changed put a corbin seat on it, Progressives front and rear, added the lights and Fender guard added Voltmeter Honda line radio and CB and J&L helmet speakers along with the Randakk spin on filters adaptor,Speed Bleeders and trailer hitch Kuryakan long Horn pegs..12volt power plug ..Run Mobil one 20-50 M/c oil..change the anti freeze every year and the e-3's I bought in Oct 2011 have over 20 grand on them(dyna Beads) now with plenty of wear. Like I said I would only give this up if it gets to the point where I cannot fix it. I have ridden the CCT extensively as a friend has one and we swap. he likes mine I like his. The point is I am in Love with the 1200 It has to be one of the easiest and most uncomplicated bike to work on..looks tough until you get into it and the help you get here from guys that have been down that road that exists between the dawn and the dark of night is invaluable..Hell I get bike shops calling me and asking how to fix somethinon an old wing. if I know I will let them know or I will find out. This carb job 1200 is probably one of the most reliable and well built M/C ever made..yea yea the stator. But the guy I got the bike from just put a new one in but Next up Poor boy Kit. 2500 in 2009 for the 1200 that had about 36000 on it probably 1000 in after market stuff including belts and tensioners,Plugs Oil Tires etc and another 35000 on it and it still does not burn oil. Hell I am 64 now and My son will be selling this baby after I kick off. hahahahahaha. love to have a CCT(Maybe) but you know what I have this Bike where I want it..I can trust it. and I sure can't justify spending 20 grand on something else when the ride I get is maybe not as good but pretty damned close. Good Bike that Vic and hell so is that Ultra. Ride what the hell you want.:raspberry:

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
I done the test drive at the local victory dealer just after they got them. I did like the seat / leg position but that was about all. After 15 minutes I felt the viberation start at my feet, through my but to my hands. I could not wait for the test ride to be over, never wanted to get off something so bad in my life. Would never want to go on a long ride on one. My oponion so each to their own.
RC

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
I done the test drive at the local victory dealer just after they got them. I did like the seat / leg position but that was about all. After 15 minutes I felt the viberation start at my feet, through my but to my hands. I could not wait for the test ride to be over, never wanted to get off something so bad in my life. Would never want to go on a long ride on one. My oponion so each to their own.
RC
I call that Goldwing spoiled honestly. I just got my Goldwing in July of 2012 and prior to that, I was a V-twin rider. I never paid any attention to the vibes on v twins (not just the Harley brand either), but after a year riding my Goldwing, I notice pretty much any vibration. I am a big fan of the road Glide with the fixed fairing. I test rode one and like you said I could not wait to get off of it. Like I said, Goldwing spoiled.

·
Premium Member
1,176 Posts
Interesting Sidebar

At last years Arizona Bike week I went up to the victory Factory Booth Tons of folks wanting a test ride all were impressed..The fellow asked me what I rode and then He said..look everyone including Victory knows that Gold Wing is the Cadillac Standard for touring bikes and Victory or HD could never compete with GW if what you were looking for was Overall Comfort and accessories . He said its the Geezer Car of M/C's you know what he is right. :)

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
At last years Arizona Bike week I went up to the victory Factory Booth Tons of folks wanting a test ride all were impressed..The fellow asked me what I rode and then He said..look everyone including Victory knows that Gold Wing is the Cadillac Standard for touring bikes and Victory or HD could never compete with GW if what you were looking for was Overall Comfort and accessories . He said its the Geezer Car of M/C's you know what he is right. :)

After Vietnam and after being married twice, I'm quite happy to be a geezer! In fact, I relish being a geezer! Wife and I have 300,000 plus touring miles on the ticker; being a geezer is a bestowed blessing.... and I'm grateful for it. And, on the plus side, I no longer have to look at myself in shop windows as I ride past! Ride until you die, my friends! Ride until you die!

:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Just demoed the CCT

Hi Guys,

I hope you don't mind if I jump in with my two cents..... or maybe three cents with inflation.

I'm 5'8", which many consider tall for a woman. But my legs are not that long, which is both good and bad when when it comes to fitting on my Goldwing. I don't really have a huge problem with the "bent knee" riding position, because I have highway pegs and can stretch out once I have finished shifting. My biggest problem is when stopped I have a hard time getting both feet planted on the ground. I normally end up with my left foot planted, and just leave my right foot on the floorboard (like motor officers are taught). With that said, I really love my Wing, and still love it after two and a half years of riding her. My previous two bikes were also Hondas, one a 1977 750, and then a 2010 Shadow.

So I've been getting the itch for something different, and Victory has been on my radar screen. I've been to a couple of dealers and sat on the Vision and the CCT in their showrooms, and listened to the sales pitch about how much lower their center of gravity is, and how much more comfortable they are etc. I almost got reeled in at the last dealer and nearly bought a Vision. I was a bit turned off by the Jetsons design, and the lack of trunk space, so I began to think about the CCT instead.

Yesterday I went to the International Motorcycle Show here in Phoenix and finally got a chance to demo a CCT. It was comfortable enough when I first sat on it, and of course my feet were both firmly planted on the ground. There were a few minor things about the display that I didn't like, but nothing that would kill the deal.

Then the ride started. Although I was certain I had it in first gear, it felt as though I was trying to start out in second. There was hardly any "get-up-and-go" like I get from my 1800 GW. I really had to goose the throttle just to get going. Once I got up to speed and shifted into second, it seemed to have sufficient power. The leader of the demo got us up to 70 at one point, and I found that the bike had pretty good speed in the higher gears. I'm not crazy about the fork mounted fairing, but again, not a deal killer.

But here are the two deal killers, and why I was happy when the demo was over:

The vibration was awful! I guess I'm spoiled on the smoothness of the Wing, I don't know. Maybe if I was a Harley rider and was used to being shaken up like a can of paint in a Home Depot paint mixer it wouldn't have bothered me so much. But all I kept thinking about was how peaceful it is to ride my Goldwing at 70-80 mph and just listen to the music and watch the world go by. The vibration of this bike is a total turn off to me.

The other deal killer was the heat. I live in Arizona where I sometimes ride in 120 degree weather. I've learned to adapt to the heat, and drink lots of water when I ride, and take shade breaks often. But the heat that was coming up from the engine onto my seat was terrible. It was a beautiful January day yesterday, with temperature around 74 degrees at the time I did my demo. I can't even imagine what it would be like if it was 120, or even 100.

Victory makes a good product, and so does Harley. All bikes have their pros and cons, and every rider has her own wants and needs in a bike. My opinion of the CCT will not even make a dent in Victory's success or failure, because for every person like me, there's another person who thinks differently.

All I can say is that I'm glad I took this demo ride. It really made me appreciate my Goldwing all the more. Today, I spent the morning in the garage cleaning and pampering my baby, then proudly took her for a ride.

Just my personal thoughts, views, and opionion.

Pam

·
Premium Member
2,010 Posts
I remember this thread from back aways, myself I can like the GL1500, I am currently depleting my bank account on a daily basis adding, modding and upgrading while the 95 is in the house through a long Alaska winter, I say I can "like" the GL1500 because I have about 6 bikes I can hop on and just go, each has a unique personality, my 95 Virago 750 feels like a quarter horse, the Wing like a big dray horse, big stable, predictable and you feel comfortable.
But I have a fairly new v twin, its a 2009 Yamaha Star 1300 Tourer, its a water cooled 1304cc engine, belt drive, fuel injected. And I hate it. It has less than 2000 miles on it since I bought it brand new off the show room floor.
Why does it rub me?
It has no soul, its ergonomically uncomfortable for longer rides and I have made changes, its just a short ride type of cruiser trying to be marketed as a touring bike.
It looks really nice, no tupperware so you see everything, and it is very well designed.
Fours years and less than 2000 miles on it.

And then I have a 1989 Yamaha Venture Royale, its a V4, its shaft drive, water cooled, has a better air suspension than the Goldwings that were built years later, it has the looks of a MIG 29 aircraft, it is a bike you fit into instead of sitting on, and I love it, if anything I swear Yamaha would do everybody a big favor is they came out with a modern version, at the time many thought it was the Wing Killer, it came close but the name "Goldwing" had staying power and a larger fan base.
Actually I own two of these Ventures, the other is an 83 with a 1200cc engine, the 89 is a 1300cc motor but is slightly de-tuned.
The Venture is more top heavy, its seating is shorter than the Wing, it has adjustable handlebars and I may even try to get a set and mount them on my GL1500.

Now about air cooled engines, as a lifetime mechanic I can honestly say air cooled from chainsaws to weed eaters to snowmachines to Deutz diesel engines yes they do have a longevity problem, they will leak oil when the hours rack up. But they have the simplicity of not having a cooling system to maintain, and oil coolers do work very well.
So is it really about style? Ergonomics? Or economics? Recently its been showed its more about economics, and that is why Goldwing sales are going stagnant. I just bought a new Chevy Equinox AWD for less than a new loaded Goldwing. But driving the Equinox puts me in with a million other cagers, its just another car.
But on a bike I get obvious yearning looks from nearly everyone, some are nasty, some are indifferent and some are fellow comrades, fellow Wing riders that band together all across the country, on the road, on the web.

So here is this Victory, its different, its cheaper, it does have certain items that are better than or is missing from the Wings, but does it earn respect, admiration and envious looks from young teens, cooped up office workers too timid to break free, gorgeous adventurous women with flaming hair coming up along side you on a desolate highway and they first eye check your bike first, then you?

Thats pretty much why I prefer to have a bike that is foremost respected, accepted, reliable with a longevity history and then of course personalized forever.

Just how much different can a Victory be changed? How big will the aftermarket bling market follow suite? Thats why I would be hesitant, thats why I choose something else. its also a reason for now I stay with my 95 GL1500 instead of buying a newer Wing, its paid for, has a tremendous aftermarket parts new and used available, its a proven reliable steed. proven for by many years and many miles.

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
Just came back from the Vancouver motorcycle show , looked at the newest victory' ,some with the flames , just butt ugly , straight black , just ugly , sitting on one,feels like a comfortable riding position , rode one last year for test ride , prefer the wing , to each his own , if I was going to go twin much prefer a Kawazaki , Yamaha, Harley wanna be or how about the new Rocket 3 ... That succer puts out 140 hp ,of course BMW 1200 boxer , a twin ,semi water cooled 125 hp and at just over 500 lbs will go like a scalded cat ..but still love my wing .. Above all

·
Registered
34 Posts
:wtf:I don't understand why people associate a desire for comfort, quality, durability, and features with being a "geezer". There are many young people like myself who choose to ride a Goldwing for those very qualities.

Pam

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
I hear ya.The reason I got my Goldwing is i did not want to get beat up and tweek my back.After many years as a carpenter I have had enough of getting beat up.I like the smooth soft ride of a Goldwing.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Old thread, but I recently took a 2014 Cross Country out for a spin at the local dealer and hated just about every minute of it. Now, it could be the bike wasn't prepped correctly, but it was 'buzzy' at all speeds and RPMs with my hands tingling after only 10 to 15 minutes. Performance even with the Stage I was less than stellar. Buffeting was terrible.

After hearing from Vic owners how superior to Harley these bikes are, I have to wonder if they've ever owned a Harley. Again, it could have been that particular bike, but the dealer offered no apologies for my experience and only made excuses for what I mentioned I didn't like.

As to handling, it did handle well for its weight and size and had some nice features. Hard braking and cornering was smooth and without surprises. I rode around a gravel parking lot and was surprised at how well it handled on that surface.

But, handling and features don't make it for me. The thing has to be comfortable and have at least some desire to get moving. I did not find either of these with the Cross Country.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I had a similar experience when I demoed the Cross Country Tour last November. At the time I was still riding a Goldwing, so it may have been a jaded opinion. I later demoed the Victory Vision and the difference was like night and day. I couldn't get rid of that Goldwing fast enough and get the Vision. Of the 4 bikes I have owned, this is definately the best ever. Smooth as silk and WAY more comfortable than the wing.
And yes, I have demoed Harleys many times over the 37 years I've been riding, and would never own one.

Pam

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
All boils down to... Honda has to get in gear and catch up.
Great review of the Cross Country. I always thought it was a better choice than the Vision.
A couple things I have on my "has to have" list however is... Regular gas, and a center stand. Shaft drive is also far easier for rear tire repair and change. I tend to keep my wheels for the long haul.
I kinda laugh at the salesman saying that police like the Victory because they can jump off and they fall over with out damage. I have friends who are motor officers and that is something that is really not a issue for them. Buttt it makes for great salesman BS. Oh wait... do salesmen actually BS?
Ride what you like and enjoy. That is the best thing.

Corventure Dave
Just my two cents here : I'm currently riding an 04 Kingpin which is a great bike. ( have owned 1500 wing) I am currently considering a new ride and pretty much narrowed it down to the Cross Country or a F6B.
The Victorys can run on 87 octane no problem even though Victory recommends Higher octane. Bike never pings! The Belt drive is no problem when removing the wheel and would have to say easier to do than a shaft. But really, how often are we removing the wheel on any bike anyway? Belt drive has it's advantages, less weight and less power loss to rear wheel.. Center stand? well, guess it has it's place but again how often do you use it? A $90 lift from Harbor freight works great with the Vic and raises the Bike well off the ground .. both wheels!
As far as the fall protection that is one awesome feature of the Victory:claps: as the bike will only go over so far saving damage to the bike and more importantly the driver too! .. I seen it work first hand when a guy stalled and dumped his bike. His rider actually stepped of with out falling and he stayed with the bike. he probably would have been pinned by the bike without this. the bike was much easier to upright also.
The Victorys are air/ oil cooled which many here seem to forget ,or are not aware of. They all are equipped with oil coolers. Those who say the Vics have no power never rode one. The torque is a strong point of the Victorys. It is a v-twin, not an opposed 6 cylinder. they are two different motors and operate in different rpm ranges by design. V-twin noisier ( motor noises) and not as smooth as a Goldwing 6cyl? ..no doubt, nature of the beast
Vibration.. non factor ,I have never found it an issue on my Vic. ( and mine is the kingpin, not the bigger Cross Country. I see the new Goldwings claim34 mpg but am assuming it actually gets better. The Vics are closer to the 45 mpg range if not more.
Now all that being said they both are great bikes and I would not mind owning either for my last bike. As others have said, they are two different bikes. I think of the Goldwing as the "Caddilac" of motorcycles, the Victory a little more of the "biker" attitude. I tried the CTX 1300 today and that I know I would not trade my kingpin for. took out an F6B just up the street and back and wow, what a nice bike. I was impressed with the low speed handling. I have to take one for a demo ride. I know my one concern is the leg position being somewhat higher than on the Vic with the floor boards which gives the ability to move foot position a bit. I do remember leg cramping was an issue for me at times on my 90 Goldwing. I just don't see anyone going wrong with either brand bike. All depends what you want and are comfortable with.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
I've owned and ridden all the GW models and liked them all. I think I liked my 1500 a bit more than my 1800s because the 1500 has less mechanical noise in the power train. That timing chain whistle in the 1800. The 1800 had the best throttle response of all the Wings I've owned though.
Over the years it seemed to me the GWs kept getting heavier and more of a bother in town, especially in crowded parking lots. I now own two BMWs, a '13 650cc Scooter and a very low mileage '95 K1100LT. The scooter is just great in town, very quick with its 60hp twin and CVT transmission, nimble on its 15" tires and can carry a surprisingly large amount of stuff in the under seat and top box. The heated seat and grips are real nice in the winter too. The K1100 is a very nifty machine. Nearly as good a tourer as the GW but a lot more nimble with the trunk and saddlebags off. 640lbs and 100hp in a four cylinder in line engine makes for a quick bike too. Mine only has 11,000 miles on it and looks like new. I really enjoy these two machines but have to admit if I were to make another West coast to East coast ride as I did for NASSIR 1 with Jluvs2dive and NaturalyGW I'd prefer to make the run on a GL1500.
The Victory Vision isn't a particularly good looking bike to me, I just can't get past that puckered rear end. The new GWs also seem to look similar for that matter. I still think the Goldwing is the best touring bike in the world with the possible exception of the BMW 1600GTL Exclusive.
In the end it really doesn't matter, different strokes for different folks. This is a GW website and I still check in because I like the GW though I still like hearing other opinions.

81 - 94 of 94 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.