Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Tracy and I are wanting to join the ranks of videoing some of our rides and was wanting to know what type of camera you folks use on your wing or other bike to take the killer video's I've seen on here.
Some things we will be looking for in it.
1. cost, want to keep it as reasonable as possible we already have all kinds of photo gear, so this would only needed for vid's
2. reliability
3. mount ability
4. storage/file size
5. software
Thanks in advance, Ray and Tracy:waving:

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

Hi Ray, I got a new JVC Evario for the trip to Montrose. Got the one with the 30 gig internal HD & it would not work on the bar's, I think too much movement. I got the one that takes 2 memory cards, & never shut it off. It takes Video & still, adapted my RAM mount & you can see the pic's I posted, still editing the video. I also hooked up a power supply to save the battery. Just my experience hope it helps , see you guy's next summer. :waving::waving:

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

any chance you have a picture of it mounted Bob?
Thanks, Ray:waving:

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

ScooterTramp wrote:
I've been looking at THESE.
Those are nice but way over my budget right now, I did bookmark it though;)

·
Premium Member
2,419 Posts
imported post

RayandTracy wrote:
ScooterTramp wrote:
I've been looking at THESE.
Those are nice but way over my budget right now, I did bookmark it though;)
Well.....this would be stretching mine as well. Unfortunately, mounting on bikes (or helmets) requires something more robust, than the average camcorder. So many things to buy......and so little money to do it with. Still, I keep an eye on these things.

·
Premium Member
323 Posts

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

RayandTracy wrote:
any chance you have a picture of it mounted Bob?
Thanks, Ray:waving:
Here ya go Ray. There are 7 pic's. I took a Ram mount, fastened it to the camera by taping the mount to match the thread in the camera base (1/4 - 20 unc), cut the head off a matching bolt, threaded it into the mount & the camera. it is mounted on the Rt side since the viewing screen and controls are on the L side of the camera which makes it more user friendly with the L hand. I have a triple cig lighter block on the RT side pocket cover & use a 120 V adapter to plug in the camera. I was able to switch between still & video on the go & loosen the ram mount to swing the camera to the side ( when safe to do so ) The memory cards are a snap to download on the computer & the software very simple to use, auto back-up & burn DVD.

JVC Evario with RAM mount.

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
imported post

Here is a small camcorder we got for one of our sons as a graduating present before he went on holiday. http://tiny.cc/bcF3V This from Costco here in Canada but I'm sure you will get them cheaper down there and there are others in a similar formfactor from Canon, JVC, Sanyo etc.

His one is really quite neat and so small it fits onto my Universal Ram mount. It has a harddrive with space for expansion to memory cards. It's a cinch to upload to a computer or Utube.

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
imported post

After no success with my Sony HD camcorder, I tried my point and shoot Canon in the movie mode. It worked great, and uses about one mb/minute of shooting. I have a Ram Mount, but have seen some home made rigs that will work nicely.

[flash=425,344]http://www.youtube.com/v/pakt0FnlcF0&hl=en&fs=1[/flash]

·
Registered
297 Posts
imported post

I have a standard definition GoPro Hero wide angle video camera. It will record about a hour on a 2GB SD card. I mounted it on the bottom of my right mirror housing. I also have a mount on my dirt bike helmet.
GoPro Camera

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

I've been useing my Kodak Easy Share, with still and vid. I have the RAM Mount for the clutch side. The camerawas cheap enough ($150) so if something happen to it, I'm not out a fortune.

Here is the mount where the camera is mounted by the stud

Part Details

You need an arm with it,,,, they come in different lengths.

This is the Base Mount I use. It goes on either clutchor brake side on the handle bars. Part Details

This is a video I did last year. You can tell when the roadway is a bit rough. Also,, youtube is not as clean/crisp as the original.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eman0JyMpuU

Have fun with it,,,,,,,,,, hope to see some of your adventures :waving:

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
imported post

All great Tips and I will be looking into it all.
Winger77, I have to say you are the one that got me excited about videoing our rides with the vid you made of your trip out west with Bob Seger jamming.
Here is a clip we made using our VHS hand held when we went up to Tracy's sister for a visit. Yeah it stinks but it does give us hope:D Tracy was holding it and cleary wasn't interested in where we were going but in the sides of the road:cooldevil:
I am going to Brown County this week and will temp mount the cam on the bike and try to get a couple good vids from it.
Here's our first attempt:shock:might want to hit mute due to wind noise:waving:
[flash=425,344]http://www.youtube.com/v/CiaZPg98_4g&hl=en&fs=1[/flash]

Ride Safe, Ray and Tracy:waving:

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

Wind noise is a problem, I've taped some foam over the mike opening to help a little. :waving:

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
imported post

96aspencade wrote:
Wind noise is a problem, I've taped some foam over the mike opening to help a little. :waving:
good ideal:cooler::bowing::blowingup:

·
Premium Member
4,403 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Premium Member
4,403 Posts
1 - 20 of 44 Posts