Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I'm looking for advice here! I want to mount a normal video camera on my GW and have the mount already. I want to use a "normal"video camera instead of a "sports" camera, ie the "lipstick type cameras. I have a JVC Everio HHD camera and it works fine if I hold it in my hand but as soon as I mount it on the bike the vibration from the bumps in the road make it shut down. Has anyone mounted a normal camera on their bike that has worked okay. Let me know

Thanks for any input

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

I'm no expert by no means,,,,,,,,,, I think I was lucky when I bought my digital camra.

It does both still and video......

Kodak EasyShare C743

But it sounds like you want "VIDEO" only .

Here is a little something I did in video with mine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eman0JyMpuU

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
imported post

Here's a great camera you should check out. We sell them at our shop and we hear lot's of great things about them. They take video or still shots and come with 3 different mounts for your bike or helmet etc. Excllent web site showing actual footage from the camera and they are waterproof too. I'll probably buy one down the road. :cool:

http://www.goprocamera.com/

I wouldn't recommend using a normal video camera when you see all that this little thing can do.

·
Premium Member
1,423 Posts
imported post

I have an ATC2K camera that I have modified with a wide angle lens. They now make an ATC3K camera which is equipped with a wide angle lens, difference being my camera having a "real" camera optical lens, while the 3K has the typical tiny "cheap camera" lens.

I too am having vibration issues when mounting the camera to the bike. The vibration makes the video appear to wave. Guess that is why they call it a helmet camera!

I plan on trying to modify a dirtbike crossbar to allow a mount between the handlebars. I hope this will bind the handlebars and kill the natural tuning fork effect by changing the resonant frequency of the assembly.

I like the view when mounting the camera to the engine guards, but the vibration there is stronger, and I havent been able to figure out an idea on how to dampen them.

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
imported post

That's the problem with normal video cameras. They just aren't designed to handle any vibration. Not to mention the wind noise it will pick up sometimes which makes it unbearable to listen to the video clips. Also, normal video cameras usually aren't waterproof and this is a risk if you get caught in a the rain. I have done filming and taking pictures on my motorcycles by having my Canon camera hanging from my neck and tucked in my jacket. Then when I want to film etc., I just pop it out. I have gotten good footage and pictures by doing this, but it is not necessarily the safest thing to try.

This is my video on Youtube created by using this method. I am riding my Honda Shadow here. Check it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcTGWZshu5E

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,727 Posts
imported post

If your camera is one that uses a hard drive, vibration may induce HD failure.

Heard of it several times when one of those is mounted to something that shakes a lot.

I would suggest using caution if your camera uses a hard drive.

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Yeah that been my experience with the "normal" video camera. Just to much vibration. As I continue to reseach this I find the everyone else reccomends the cameras you guys have listed above so I will probably purchase one of the two listed.

Hey Jennifier, I really like you taste in music too. Thanks for the help

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
imported post

So - I have a question . . .

If you have the camera mounted on your helmet, how do you snap pictures and/or turn on the video recorder? Is there some kind of remote cable connection or something? What am I missing (besides riding)? :baffled::baffled:

Jennifer - what does you shop sell those cameras for?

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
imported post

The camera has two different modes that I believe is an easy switch. One modes snaps pictures every few seconds or so and the other mode is video. Check out that website above that I posted and it might tell you there. We sell them at our shop (Canadian price) for $269. But I could arrange a little discount for friends. :cool: :D

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
imported post

So basically the camera is either snapping or filming from the time you mount up until you stop for fuel 2 1/2 hours later? Hmmmm. BUT - I am interested though. Maybe ya could PM me that 'special price' ;). I can call in a credit card number for it.

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
imported post

I will get more details tomorrow. But from what I understand, it's an easy switch from pics. or video. Not necessary to dismount bike etc. etc. I think the helmet view is the best since you get everything when you just turn your head, like scenery or friends you are riding with etc.

PM sent.

Jen :waving:

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
imported post

PM sent back Jennifer - look forward to a chat tomorrow :action:

·
Premium Member
5,381 Posts
imported post

Some of you people are really annoying. I'm looking out the window at a foot of snow that isn't going to melt at -20C and you post pictures of riding down nice twisty roads in balmy weather. :X

Who is this guy Gore and what's hebabbling onabout?

I'm just kidding. It has great placebo effect. :D

One question is: wide or normal lens? Wide distorts but standard seems to be for narrow minded viewers.

Preferences?

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
imported post

Wide lens is cool. Most Tv's and Computer LCD monitors all have the widescreen view. It does take some getting used to though.....:cool:

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
imported post

I shot a pretty decent video with my little Canon A560 a couple of days ago mounted on a RAM mount. Vibration doesn't seem to affect it like a movie camera with a HD.

Now a dummy question: how to download it to youtube. It's in mvi file, and youtube doesn't appear to take those. Also, do you need to use some sort of compression software before uploading. It would take days otherwise.

I used Windows Movie Maker to edit the above clip, compressing it from 300mb to 18mb, then tried uploading it to youtube numerous times. On one attempt it was 75-80% done and got the same "upload failed, unknown error" message. :X

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
imported post

I use my Canon G7 for video and snaps. It has image stabilization that, unfortunately, doesn't work in the video mode. I'm not sure how many video only cameras have stabilization or how effective it is. So, in that respect, I'm still looking.

The camera is mounted to a RAM mount on the clutch reservoir cover and I'm thinking of moving it to a less vibration prone location. Shooting video by hand hasn't worked for me though.

However, the new iLife 09 has a very effective image stabilization function in their iMovie program. I was amazed how well it works. It won't take all the vibration out but it does a very good job and I have far more usable video than in iLife 08 or most other video programs.

I'm not a PC user and there may be M$ programs that do the same thing.

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
imported post

The Ram mount system looks like a good system to me too. However, by using your regular camera, you would still have to remove the camera if you got in a rain shower/storm.

That's one advantage of the GoPro Hero camera is that it is 100% waterproof. You can even dive under water up to 100 feet deep with it! It takes up to 1900 pics on a 2 second - 5 second continous picture stills or up to 2 hours of continous video. This is with a regular 2 gig. SD camera card. It's a 5 megapixel camera with a wideangle lens. It takes 2 AAA batteries and is very durable. It also comes with a selection of 3 different mounts for the camera. I have already heard of two people that wiped out on their dirt bikes with the camera mounted on the bike and it was undamaged.

·
Banned
7,545 Posts
imported post

I like the original BROWNIE by KODAK. 126 rocks!!:doh:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.