Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Honda Guru
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy
I have a question about giving away a rolling frame to a Z-50. I got 2 of them years ago. One had a tweaked frame, the other had a seized engine. So I took 2 to make one good bike. My sons road it for awhile and then I sold the good cycle. Now we are getting rid of stuff and the old frame is one of the things to go. Since it’s got a VIN number and I’m GIVING it away... do I have to supply a bill of sale?? Anybody know for sure? Thanks. Ray

·
Administrator
21,995 Posts
You probably should, just to be safe, draw up the paperwork and get it notarized.

Many years ago I sold my Chevette to a guy. I signed off the title but the guy never registered it in his name. So Arizona MVD still considers it mine. Maybe it was registered in another state, but who knows?

·
Honda Guru
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I appreciate the thought but since this is a giveaway I’m not too keen on spending money for a notary. Maybe just grind off the vin?

·
Administrator
58,211 Posts
I am having hell trying to get my Toy Hauler registered.
no paperwork from the previous owner, he got it 3rd hand in a car trade, no paperwork,

I tried to contact last registered owner, letters returned undeliverable.

just now, got back from Tag Office, and have to go back tomorrow....
I have a Court Order to title it in my name, but there is an error somewhere along the way.

the vin# is xxxxxxxxEExxxxxxxx

and the court order says xxxxxxxxxxFFxxxxxxxxxx

and they say that I will to start all over again, if they can't resolve where the error occurred.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Just donate it for scrap value.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Many years ago I sold my Chevette to a guy. I signed off the title but the guy never registered it in his name. So Arizona MVD still considers it mine. Maybe it was registered in another state, but who knows?
Where I live you fill out a form with the DMV to inform them you sold it.

·
Registered
372 Posts
No matter where you are grinding off a VIN is illegal. They do NOT CARE what the reason is, if you ground off the VIN number you broke the law. Believe me they can bring the number back, they used to use my shop to do that work and I was amazed at the numbers they resurrected.

Give it away but have the person you give it to sign a waiver that they know that the frame is bent and they agree to NOT hold you liable for any injuries or damages caused by use of the frame. Do not lose that paperwork! That way no matter what happens if that frame gets used on a trike, and you know it will, if it crashes you are in the clear. If it had a ground S/N and crashed they would trace it back to you and you will be held liable for any and all damage and injuries not to mention the penalties for the defaced S/N.

·
(Rick Sheeley GWRRA)
659 Posts
Ray, my bank and credit union both had notaries, and they have never charged me.....

And in Cali, you can never do TOO MUCH paperwork...LOL!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts