Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

just wondering if there is an easy place to fine the VIN. I assume it is on steering tube but that is inside the faring and not easy to see

·
Premium Member
1,173 Posts
imported post

Should be on the left side of the Neck

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

If its on your 1500, pull off the plastic dish from the steering area and you can see the plate with the number.

·
Master Sgt. USAF Retired.
243 Posts
imported post

I've just been through the "VIN# saga." Sitting on the bike, lean forward and look down in between the gap of the closure panel and the handle bars. It will be a sticker lying horizontal on the frame tube.
Norm

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

thanks all its a lot easier when you know were to look. got my title the other day on my 91 interstate and noticed that the model numbers was CB400E. I admit I didnt look to close at it when I bought the bike and I was a little worried that the PO had just switched titles on me. but the VIN matches so I'm a little relieved. now I just need to figure out if this is something I need to take care of or just let it go.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

bking wrote:
thanks all its a lot easier when you know were to look. got my title the other day on my 91 interstate and noticed that the model numbers was CB400E. I admit I didnt look to close at it when I bought the bike and I was a little worried that the PO had just switched titles on me. but the VIN matches so I'm a little relieved. now I just need to figure out if this is something I need to take care of or just let it go.
It's something that should be corrected because if "God forbid" you're ever involved in an accident you'll be in for major grief when it's found you're actually riding a 1500 not a 400. Insurance companies will do any thing to deny your claim if the t's aren't crossed or the i's aren't dotted.

·
Honda Guru
2,053 Posts
imported post

Ken is absolutely correct. You HAVE to get that cleared up with your DMV….. ASAP!!!

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

rayworx wrote:
Ken is absolutely correct. You HAVE to get that cleared up with your DMV….. ASAP!!!
And with your insurance company if you already have it insured.

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

my ins agent is great she rides a Harley. I know I told her it was a GL1500I and we talked about goldwings for a while. Just checked my policy and it just says 1991 Honda and the VIN so I will be giving her a call tomorrow. I'll be picking up my plates later this week at the same place that did the title work hopefullyI can get it taking care of then. the strange thing is the title also says its 1500cc

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

bking wrote:
my ins agent is great she rides a Harley. I know I told her it was a GL1500I and we talked about goldwings for a while. Just checked my policy and it just says 1991 Honda and the VIN so I will be giving her a call tomorrow. I'll be picking up my plates later this week at the same place that did the title work hopefullyI can get it taking care of then. the strange thing is the title also says its 1500cc
Your insurance agent may have a heart of gold but she doesn't write the cheque.:shock:

Hopefully it will get corrected when you go for the plates.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

I had a problem with Progressive where I changed the policy to a new one and someone (probably me due to my dyslexia) got the last three numbers as 227 instead of 277 like it should have been (or was it the other way around). Progressive never told me it was an illegitimate VIN and claimed that the State I live in only validates part of the VIN string when they first originate a policy.

The ONLY way I found out about it was that 5 months later the state sent me a letter with a penalty fee for no longer having the original number insured (required in GA). So I went out and compared the VIN they had in the letter with the bike and it was right. Then I pulled out my insurance card from Progressive and saw the transposition. Being dyslexic it was hard for me to notice at first but I forced myself to pay attention to it and finally saw it.

My first thougt was that Progressive must have never implemented the policy, but they had issued a policy for the wrong VIN. That meant that for the past 5 months, if I had been in a claim situation, they would not have paid anything because that would have not been the bike involved according to the policy VIN they had.

I had to contact the County license tag office and they said that if the insurance company made the correction and showed I had been insured over the missing time, they would drop the penalty fee.

I contacted Progressive and they were very cooperative about fixing it and reissuing the new cards and show coverage over the whole period. Which they did promptly. Bad part is once I got the cards, I had a hard time being sure which was incorrect card to discard.

The county confirmed the policy change and dropped their stupid penalty fee.

This is a good example about how simple it is to end up in a bad situation and my agent (who died last year in a motorcycle accident with a head on truck) would never have picked that up anyway. I would have been blissfully riding along thinking I had done everything I should have and had no coverage at all. None

Check your stuff yourself. And get someone else to help if you have dyslexia.

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Step one, just talked to ins agent insurance is ok as long a I get the title fixed. She told me there might be a problem if the bike gets totaled and I have to turn over the title to them. I will be checking on the titleon friday.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

Agents sell insurance for insurance companies. They like to be your friend and keeo your busness. Insurance companies hire investigators whose job is to find loopholes in your policy to deny coverage.Make sure you cover your a$$ because the agent will be looking the other way if your claim is denid.
Wilf

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

picked up the plates today and everything on the registration is fine. All the paper work has the correct model number on it. Somehow the DMV changed the model number on the title. The title is now on its way back to the state to be corrected, I'm told that it will take about 3 to 4 weeks before I get it back. And yes I have copies of everything! don't trust them to get it right anymore.

·
Banned
1,176 Posts
imported post

I understand insurance issues but what if you get stopped by the police. If your driving a Siverado and it say its an HHR, the police may look for this discrepency and you may get arrested for some kind of forgery. Accident possaibility 10%, police pullover 30%...GET YOUR PAPERWORK STRAIGHT.

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
imported post

We had a driver get pulled over by the LEO's in San Diego a few years back, they had him surrounded by cars with guns drawn and a chopper overhead. Then they ordered him out of the car and face down on the road surface with all traffic in both directions stopped before handcuffs and forcing him into the back of a squad car.

The reason?

He was driving a Honda with Honda plates but he had changed the decals, hub caps, and steering wheel with items off a junked BMW. They thought it was a stolen BMW with a license plate from another vehicle on it and would not believe him when he told them it was really a Honda until finally one officer lifted the hood checking for drugs ect. and read the decal under the hood.

·
Official "Cheeky Plonker"
1,211 Posts
imported post

Just playing devils advocate here of course, but are you sure your GL1500 isn't a CB400, you would be wise to know that, if you ever got caught up with the Florida equivalent of the Texas hammer in civil court.

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

just got my corrected title back from the state and everything is correct on it now. Thanks for all the advice. looks like title, registration and insurance is all up to snuff now.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.