Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Master Sgt. USAF Retired.
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Does the VIN # and the engine # have anything in common? Also, my 1500SE is titled as 1999, but the frame label has a 1998??

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

The numbers won't be anywhere near the same. The frame label tells the actual model year.

·
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Trying not to "beat a dead horse," but how does one title a vehicle as a 1999 when it is a 1998 model? I just got this motorcycle and was sure I did all of my "homework" prior to closing the deal. We just put our first long ride on it yesterday, 160 miles. Thebike rides great and runs good, we got 41 MPG. Everywhere we have been we have received compliments of how good the bike looks, however I have found out that there may of been some "hidden documentation" that the seller may of not known or may have known of, but left it up to me to find out. I'm just glad that I didn't sink a fortune into the purchase. The state that the bike was titled in; has a space on the title for damage and excessive mileage history and had no entry noted. "Moral of the story" Run the VIN# through a reputable search provider; you may be surprised at what you find.

Norm

·
Premium Member
12,790 Posts
imported post

So did you uncover something ? Does the 99 title represent the serieal number shown on the frame which is marked 98 ? I supose it could be a rebuilt bike . If you dont have a fortune in the bike , ride the snot out of it and enjoy every curve in the road . Dont loose any sleep over it . If your sure its been misrepresented or is fishy then you might check with a LEO or county tag office . Not sure you can undo your deal though and get your cash back .

·
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks Mike, yes the numbers match, and I agree..."ride the snot out of it," as planned. It would not be worth it to persue the newly found information (major repairs) But I sure have learned a few things; about my fellow man and "shiny red motorcycles" that can blind you.

Norm

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

The Year Model and Date of Manufacture is likely a year off. My '83 Interstate and Aspencade were both made in July of 1982. The first half of your VIN will have the year model in it.

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
imported post

There is nothing wrong with MOST "major" repairs if they are done correctly. Having said that it's not ok for PO to not have disclosed the fact if he knew about it.

Steve

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
imported post

You can buy many vehicles of a particular year model in the year prior. You bought a 1999 that was built in 1998. Honda has the 2012 models on their website now in 2011.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

It's easy for the title to be inaccurate.

If I purchased a new 2011 in 2012 and took the paperwork to the MVD, it would likely be titled 2012.

I once looked at a "supposed" 1998, that was really a 1995. just purchased as a "leftover" in 1998, and thus titled.

The owner was actually a little peeved when I pointed out that his bike was a 1995, not a 1998, and thus - not worth his asking price.

He held the title high, and said, "This proves is a 1998."

Idjut.

·
Premium Member
3,318 Posts
imported post

Hello circlepilot, what is the 10th digit of the VIN?

W = 1998, X = 1999

·
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

To all of you that chimed in here...When I got home this evening I removed the "GapCover"above the VIN# label to get abetter look at the label itself. (Quite at bit of road grime) The edge of the label (nearest to the rider's seat) had rolled up. I cleaned it up and rolled it back to reveal...that the last digit was in fact a 9 and not 8 as first thought. :gunhead:The forward edge of the label is where I was also seeing the 98, in fact 8/98. The VIN#'s tenth symbol is X, which I have been told stands for a "9."I finished cleaning the frame area and took some "Tacky Glue" and glued the label back down. As was said previously, "ride the snot out of it."

Thanks to all

Norm

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
imported post

Just an aside,,I once bought a brand new , out of the crate , 1982 Suzuki GS 850L... in 1985! Back in the early 80's the japanese m/c mfr's,smelling blood at Harley-Davidson,dumped a ton of m/c's on the U.S. just about the time "Reaganomics" was getting a toe hold in this country & it took years to whittle down they're inventory !:readit:

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
imported post

Just a note you can check vin# at cyclevin.com I ran a check on my bike it costs 25.00 but if you really want to know give it a try Hal

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.