Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Just curious.Which is the preferred vinegar to use?I know White Vinegar cleans the residue from coffee pots really well.

I set my carb jets in apple cider vinegar for a month or more.Really cleaned them nicely.Im just curious which eats rust better.

Flatfour

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

Use white..no residue..apple not as "pure". Vinegar is a MILD acid..and it will clean lots of stuff..mineral deposits, rust etc. it's jsut slow.

·
Premium Member
5,381 Posts
imported post

Rusty steelpartially submerged in white vinegar for two daysand washed off with a pressure washer.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Thanks,I suspected it was the white vinegar.
Wonder if my rusty bones would benefit from a jigger of that!
Natural Cures they don't want you to know about?
Now that its the off season for riding I will vinegarize my Gold wings gas tank as its not looking so good inside.
As for the tank cleaners on the market.Ive used Rutelco with fantastic results.But its $145.00 for a 5 gallon treatment.Vinegar has got to be just a few pennies cheaper.
And i can drain it out and use it at the next potluck we have at work.

Flatfour

·
Premium Member
4,910 Posts
imported post

flatfour wrote:
Wonder if my rusty bones would benefit from a jigger of that!
Natural Cures they don't want you to know about?
Just Google "apple cider vinegar", and you will find way too much written about it. It is considered a health food in the "homeopathic" circles. A friend and his wife take it regularly (daily) and swear by the benefits for their particular ills. The taste is difficult to accept, but now I really don't mind it. For me, I prefer an ounce or two in a glass of apple juice.

I would agree that for cleaning rust with vinegar, the white would be my 1st choice. Its just that, if you're in a hurry, there are likely faster options. :waving:

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
imported post

For health benifits I would rather keep the airlock tight in the bung hole that away the Hard cider doesn't become vinegar.

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

It's aceitic acid, white or red vinegar. Right?

Coca Cola works too; has acid.

Caustic is usually better as it eats corrosion not the parent metal. Ofcourse, the petcock and other aluminum stuff will dissolve with caustic.

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
imported post

There are products on the market that will also work
that are low toxicity, if you really want to make
the inside look new mix muratic acid with distilled
water make not sure of the ratio but make sure you
pour acid into water not the other way, one product
that I have used is called POR-15, It provides a kit
that has acid, marine detergent and the final coating,
believe me this is work, I have a R100RT and I did the tank
it was rusted through with pin holes, this stuff actually
sealed it, I had it painted later at a bike shop
and they after seeing my tank changed to this product.
Alcohol and carb cleaner won't break it down and if done
correct won't come off, I put nuts and bolts in the tank
and shook it about 30 minutes then put the acid to it,
them marine detergent to chemically clean the inside
then coated with POR-15, like I said it a lot of hard
work for sure, I had rather change an alternater
on a 87 Gold Wing.

P.S. make sure you have proper ventilation and eye protection on,

also I would not mix acid and use unless I new the precise ratio

of acid to water, were protection gloves and clothing,

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

So will some of this stuff clean burned chocolate out of a brand new cook pot? I was making chocolate fudge today and it got a bit hot. :D So I just hid the pot. :cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1: That stuff is stuck to the bottom , might need a air impact chisel to get it off.

Kit

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
imported post

Personally, I wouldn't waste my time with vinegar or Coke. While acid, they are weak acids, and would take a long time, if they worked at all. Vinegar is a weak food grade acetic acid.

Have you read the post about using electrolysis to clean the tank? If I had to de-rust a gas tank, I think I would try that route.

John

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

I think Nobbies picture tells the tale quite well.Safe effective.Slow? Probably.I got a few months before the Wing
will be back out of the garage.
I have two por-15 kits here if thats doesnt work.I will leave it in for about a month,monitoring the progress.

Flatfour

·
Premium Member
5,381 Posts
imported post

flatfour wrote:
I think Nobbies picture tells the tale quite well.Safe effective.Slow? Probably.I got a few months before the Wing
will be back out of the garage.
I have two por-15 kits here if thats doesnt work.I will leave it in for about a month,monitoring the progress.

Flatfour

The sample in the picture was only left for two days then pressure washed with just tap water. I didn't see any sign of the steel being etched where there wasn't rust but we are talking about acid so I wouldn't leave it longer than necessary.

I've experimented with the washing soda electrolysis as well. It will remove paint but the vinegar doesn't seem to.

Since you've got all winter, do a little experiment on something else to get a feel for the process. Clean up an old shovel, trowel or tool.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,661 Posts
imported post

I don't think it will work too good over winter. Lower temps will slow it down quite a bit.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.