Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

While watching American Chopper, I was fascinated with the 1930 Brough Superior that was similar to the one that T.E. Lawrence rode and died on. I thought back to my first visit to the Henry Ford Museum in Detroit. I was fascinated by this 1923 Excelsior that belonged to Charles Lindbergh.

I'd be interested in seeing pictures that you folks might have of historical bikes that you've seen.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

dean wrote:
While watching American Chopper, I was fascinated with the 1930 Brough Superior that was similar to the one that T.E. Lawrence rode and died on. I thought back to my first visit to the Henry Ford Museum in Detroit. I was fascinated by this 1923 Excelsior that belonged to Charles Lindbergh.

I'd be interested in seeing pictures that you folks might have of historical bikes that you've seen.
Not surprising you liked the Brough, did you note the similarities to the Wings?

Used to go to a shop in Portsmouth that had been a dealer of Broughs. They had a few in lock ups behind the shop, but I was never priviladged enough to see them. Shame!! The two old boys who ran the shop were brothers and were still trading in 1975 or so, when I went there. I have only seen a couple in the flesh and they certainly were the Rolls Royce of their day, with technological advances ahead of their time.

Pete

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

Pete:

The old shops with the old boys running them...a memory a lot of us have of the fities and sixties...you're right about the Brough Superior, though...the Rolls Royce of bikes at the time...

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Brough also made a flat four, water cooled,shaft drive model, apparently they were experimenting with telescopic forks from early on, but the early versions suffered because the leather washers couldn't hack it, like the modern rubbers, so they were given up on for many years.

Pete

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

dean wrote:
Pete:

The old shops with the old boys running them...a memory a lot of us have of the fities and sixties...you're right about the Brough Superior, though...the Rolls Royce of bikes at the time...
And here some of us are, old boys riding them!

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
imported post

Today whilst pouring liquid gold (petrol) into my wing this afternoon a 1937 Chevvy coupe pulled in beside me. This was driven by a 60 year old gentleman and the car was bought brand new by his father for 237 pounds.

What made this so cool is it is 100% ORIGINAL. Never been restored, never had to. Original leather and wood dash, just been oiled. The only thing that has been done is it got a new coat of paint ( same colour, Matt Green) 20 years ago.

He has been offered $40000 for it but it's simply not for sale at any price.

Things like this may be more common in the USA but the only place I have seen anything like this was in a museum.

He also had 2 x 1925 Harley's but he did sell those last year to a buyer in Germany.

Andrew

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Don't blame him Andrew, he must feel good driving his Dads pride and joy, no wonder he won't sell it, hold alot of memories fro him.:)

So the rugby went well!! You showed us how to play our own game again!!:(:goofygrin:

Pete

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
imported post

I try and stay away from that site, causes palpitations!!!

Actually I believe I will hold out for an Ariel Square Four.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Had a mate at motorcycle colledge in 1980 who actually owned one of those, brought it in for us to wipe our greasey paws all over. Didn't they have a bit of a problem with heat disipation with the rearmost cylinders?

Pete

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
imported post

Tony:

I don't know how old you are, but do you remember Superman comic books which had adverts on the covers that said you could buy used Harleys and Jeeps for $5.00 if you contacted the advert company?

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
imported post

I remember the comic books, and yes I remember the ads.

I also remember the days before the UJM across the frame 4's, bicycling 14 miles on country roads to get to see the new two cylinder TX750 Yamaha. The shop wasn't open, but the bike was in the window, stood there in awe for probably ever.

The European M/C dealer was 25 miles away across the Mississippi River and unreachable. I later worked for them in 1975 when Norton folded, they sold like 1,000 850 Commandos. I don't remember how many I assembled, but I got $75.00 for each one I did, I think I paid $3,000.00 for the one I bought.

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
imported post

Silverfox wrote:
Don't blame him Andrew, he must feel good driving his Dads pride and joy, no wonder he won't sell it, hold alot of memories fro him.:)

So the rugby went well!! You showed us how to play our own game again!!:(:goofygrin:

Pete

Yep we sure did give the Lions a lesson in set play, :bash:even scoring tries with only 14 players.

However when we start beating everyone in a sport that people in other countries have actually heard of then I'll be a bit more proud.

Brojees, My old Dad used to have an Ariel Square four, He doesn't have to many complimentry things to say about it, His pride and joy was an AJS 650. Despite all this I also would love an Ariel Square four

Andrew

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.