Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Honda does not include a volt meter on the Goldwing and I believe that this is a very important item. It will tell you when a problemsis developing so you can correct it before you end up stranded somewhere. A very nice digital volt meter can be purchased at Walmart in there battery area for $15.95. This meter even shows weither the alternator or battery is malfunctioning. It is easy to wire it in but you'll have to figure out where to tap it into on your bike. I mounted mine with double stick tape on the lower edge of the ignition switchcover running the wires through the joint with the ignition switch cover and the top compartment. You will have to remove the ignition cover to access the wiring to tap into. The Goldwing service manual with its electricaldiagram is handy for this.

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

if i were to install a set of guages it'd be a amp guage more than a volt guage

you can pull 14volts outta your charging system and 0amps hence the alternator or stator same thing isnt charging

you could install both a amp guage and a volt guage thats what i'd probably do you can get a set of cheap guages like that at harborfreight they dont have to be super fancy ones that sell for 50 or 60bucks for a cute led one

·
Premium Member
5,382 Posts

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

I don't know the brand name. My Walmart has it hanging on on the top shelf across from the batterys and as I remember the price is $15.95. It displays, in red,the Battery voltage and then with the engine running the voltage produced by the alternator. It also has two led's that let you know if the alternatoror battery voltage is low and needsattention. I installed one on my 1500 Goldwing, on my Chevy Malibu Maxx, my Dodge Durango and my boat.

This came to my attention when the alternator output on my Goldwingfell below the minimum for the bike to run andI had to be towed home and replace the alternator. If I had, had a voltmeter I would have known the alternator putting out a reduced voltage andwas failing.

I do recommend installing a volt meter and the one at Walmart is the best one I have found. Happy riding and keep the shiny side up. It's more fun that way.

:18grey: :cheesygrin:

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
imported post

what if you have a stator how would you hook up to see voltage of stator

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
imported post

Should be able to hook in a voltmeter anywhere with power at key on only.
As for amp. meters , you have to go directly to the battery so be sure to fuse the circuit as close to the battery source as possible.

·
Old School Guru
7,887 Posts
imported post

Those cheap Wal-mart voltmeters are not designed for rain, so be advised. Used the sealed digital voltmeter from Cyclemax that wired from the accessory terminal, no splicing into your wiring, causing more problems down the road. Used these on both the 1500 and the 1800.

http://www.cyclemaxohio.com/inc/sdetail/120/4231

Gene:action:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,789 Posts
imported post

I use this one

It has a clock, voltmeter and thermometer... The nice part about the clock is if you connect the meter right to the battery and install and off/on switch, the clock will function as an elapsed time meter... When you turn it on, it defaults to 12:00 and starts counting upwards, so after 5 hours on the bike, it says 5:00... Kind of a nice feature - works well for me...

Additionally, you can adjust the voltmeter against your precision DVM so that it's quite accurate... It is back lit albeit a bit dim, and it is NOT waterproof, but other than that - not bad...

Here's the link

5 Function Digital Voltmeter

Les

·
Old School Guru
7,887 Posts
imported post

Here is howI mounted it on the 1800:smiler:

Gene:action:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Gene.....Thanks for the tip. Of course rain is not a problem here in Yuma. So far the Walmart volt meter is doing what I want. If it begans to malfunction I'llcheck out the one from cyclemax.

:praying:The Rovin' Rev.

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Thanks for the info. I checked that out but the only otherfunction I would like to have is the thermometer. ThoughtI had found a gooddigital on ebay but when it arrived it would display onlyC, no F.

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
imported post

dadztoy wrote:
I use this one

It has a clock, voltmeter and thermometer... The nice part about the clock is if you connect the meter right to the battery and install and off/on switch, the clock will function as an elapsed time meter... When you turn it on, it defaults to 12:00 and starts counting upwards, so after 5 hours on the bike, it says 5:00... Kind of a nice feature - works well for me...

Additionally, you can adjust the voltmeter against your precision DVM so that it's quite accurate... It is back lit albeit a bit dim, and it is NOT waterproof, but other than that - not bad...

Here's the link

5 Function Digital Voltmeter

Les
Put one of these on my 750. wouldn't stop beeping. sent it back, got another. Same problem. Beat it to death with a hammer. Works as good as it ever did.

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
imported post

voltmeters are more practical,
with everything on you can tell soon if the alternator is producing amp,, if the alt is out the volts have to fall at some point sooooooon.

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
imported post

I use the Firecreek temperature/voltmeter and would be lost without them. The voltmeter has kept me from being stranded more than once now. I just have it wired into the accessory terminal in the fuse box.
Tom Bishop
`98 S.E.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I like instrumentation on vehicles and have a volt meter on my 1800, the small Kuryakynunit, but when you get down to it the information is actually not all that useful. Mainly because a weakening battery usually shows itself by slow starting or dim lights. It isn't very common to discover a problem much earlier with a voltmeter. As for an amp meter I don't see that as very practical. You'd need heavy wiring to and from an amp meter because all the current to and from the battery would have to pass through it. The best electrical meter is a decent volt/amp/ohm meter. Not mounted on the bike. Periodic checking of the battery and charge voltage with the multimeter is the way to diagnose upcoming electrical problems. Much like using a tire gauge.

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
imported post

I have a battery bug on the goldwing and like it. It claims to be waterproof but fogs up in the rain. I returned the first one for that reason. The second one fogs up too but neither one ever failed. The battery bug also has some smarts to warn you of impending battery failure. Stu Oltman recommends it. Dunno if he's paid to but I don't think so.
That thing that Dadztoy put on is a piece of junk. Talk about NOT waterproof - it's got holes all over it. I spent days welding up a nice steel case with a plexiglass top for it. I finally beat the **** out of it so's I'd be sure not to waste any more time on it. Made in China - that a clue?

·
Premium Member
1,789 Posts
imported post

The Kriss unit is/was nice, but I have the Texelent Bar on my bike and also a pouch that goes across the handlebars so I wouldn't be able to see it up there... I also have an Aspy with the rear speakers so my fader occupies that space although I guess I could move it if the need warranted such a move...

Les

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.