Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

87 GL1200 Aspy with digital Goldwing Amputron voltmeter.

Having issues with getting this to work right. It worked good until it didn't, noticed a busted wire connector(hot lead), fixed it, and now it won't give correct readings.

I've used a handheld voltmeter to check, and the bike charges good. But the Amputron is giving false, starts at 25 and then it goes on a countdown to 6. I know it's not reading right because I used the handheld voltmeter at the same ground and hot lead and I'm getting correct readings with the handheld voltmeter.

This morning I looked at it again and it's giving negative readings, -1. :?

Checked connections and nothing is grounding out. I've also tried using the hot lead(the one that was busted) and jumped it to battery, still gave false. I've also tried using the hot lead (the one that was busted) and jumped it to a fusebox fuse(don't have the terminals on this model), and it still gave false readings.

Here's my big question: Is it possible to blow out a voltmeter and still have it give readings? Or are the negative low readings indicative of a short somewhere? I've already triplechecked all the lines and connections and nothing is shorting out. And everytime I get a false reading, I'm checking it against my handheld voltmeter which gives good voltage.

Thanks.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

:waving:The only thing I can think of that might cause a voltmeter to read negative or backwards if you will is to have the polarity of the leads reversed.

If positive and ground are proper, good voltage with a tester to the leads to the voltmeter and nothing on the back of the meter grounded out, leaves only one thing, a defective voltmeter.

Kit

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
imported post

That looks like a DVM (digital volt meter) you have there. They use an integrator to measure the voltage. Sounds like yours is blown.

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Cool beans.

I'msurprised that it still gives out a reading if it's bad. I'd think that maybe it should not work at all? Or am I off base on thinking this?:?

Also, I'm not all that good with wiring or electronics since I'm just a shadetree guy, what is this integrator that thou speaketh of?

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Putting my last post to close out this thread in case someone in the future has a similar problem with a Kriss Industries Amputron digital voltmeter...

Changed to a different voltmeter and wired it exactly the same, works fine. Volts are steady 12s and 13s at idle, all is right in the world. Again.

I've never heard of a voltmeter going bad until now, and with the bad connection that started this whole snafu, I don't know ifit burned itself out? I'd think that voltmeters were supposedto absorb high juice or a short or open? Apparently not in this case.:?

All I know is I spent a lot of time needlessly checking and rechecking wires, connections and using a handheld voltmeter to recheck the amputron's false readings, and it was all a waste of time. I should have just swapped out the amputronat the first bad reading yesterday, but I still find it strange that it kept giving readings, albeit false. They should make these to just quit, instead of staying on with bad numbers.

Put a fork in me, I'm done. And so is this voltmeter saga.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.