Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Went to leave for work and bike would not start only had 11.3 volts thought maybe left key on or something put on trickle charge for 2 hrs got up to 12 volts started right up looked in book says 3000 rpm should have 14 volts i have 11.5, famous white stator connector was taken out and hard wired before i got bike last year, i replaced battery this spring. could this be the stator, voltage regulater, or alternater. help anybody??

·
Administrator
26,534 Posts
imported post

You have to do some tests to find out. Since the yellow wires have been soldered disconnect the regulator and test the stator from there.

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

Probe each yellow wire with your meter and see what they read with the engine running. If the reading from one wire is significantly lower than the others, the stator is bad. Post your findings back here and we can advise you further.

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
imported post

Beers, you need to immediately check stator and stator wiring from stator to regulator including wires that have already been "repaired". The not as famous conector at the regulator under false tank can damage your stator just as easily as it's more well known cousin near the battery. Seems your ownership of the bike is new so this needs to be done at least once correctly. Check wiring yourself and make sure it is sound both at repair and up by regulator. Please advise of your findings and we can go further.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

I highly recommend RicksMotorSports electrical parts, they are well known on all the motorcycle forums I belong to as having very high quality stuff. But, you realize the engine has to come out to replace the stator, and you may still have problems. There is a reason that white plastic connector failed to begin with. Bad design by Honda. Having a 1200 Interstate makes you a perfect candidate for a poorboy kit, which uses an automotive alternator, and will solve all your charging problems permanently, without having to pull the engine. The Interstate is an easy conversion, it does not have that extra coolant line in the way like the fuel injected models.

·
Premium Member
1985 GL1200 Limited Edition
3,484 Posts
imported post

beersunny92 wrote:
what is this poor boy kit?
Basicly it's a kit that Don "Poorboy" Piggott developed and sells to mount a small car alternator inside the front fairing of a GL1200 and is driven by a pulley that's mounted on the engine crankshaft. The kit's not cheap, but it does contain pretty much all the hardware needed for the conversion less the alternator. If you want to contact him for more info and pricing, he's a moderator over at Vic's site: www.gl1200goldwings.com .

Tell him I sent ya!!:coollep:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.