Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

That subject line was tough to condense... Here's the issue. With my radio off on my '99 Aspencade, I get 1-3/4 volts on the plus wire of the speaker. This is true in all four speakers. Any idea on why and or how to elimintate. I suspect the answer is get the radio fixed, but I'm not parting with it, so if that's the only option, I guess I'm done for.

The problem that this causes is this: I have installed an EC amp with a LVT. Because the speakers have 1-3/4 volt to them even in the radio off position, the LVT detects that and turns on the amp, with the amp now on and the radio off, I can hear a noise from the speakers. Not loud, and not variable like alternator whine... more like an amplied noise of say, 1-3/4 volts. When I turn the radio on, mostly the music drowns it out.

The amp came with an inline "powerline noise suppressor".. I have a message into EC asking the same thing, but I was wondering, would putting two of these in series help eliminate the noise I hear when riding with the radio off.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Mike C
1999 Aspencade
Candy Red

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

Mike, try switching suppressors instead. Also, was there voltage at the speakers before you fitted the amp? Another thing, if you switch the fader all the way to the front speakers, do you get voltage at the back ones still?

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

englishted wrote:
Mike, try switching suppressors instead. Also, was there voltage at the speakers before you fitted the amp? Another thing, if you switch the fader all the way to the front speakers, do you get voltage at the back ones still?
I never thought to measure the voltage before the install, so I don't know if it was there before... but I did measure and see the voltage leak while the amp was completely disconnected in the trunk, so it is not feeding it back into the system. I tried moving the fader controll all the way front and then all back, and in each instance, there is still the exact same voltage on all four speakers. What do you mean by "try switching to suppressors, instead"?

Thanks

Mike C

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
imported post

I think Ted meant change suppressors instead of running them inline, as you said that you have two of them.

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Sorry, maybe I mistated this. The install kit came with one powerline noise suppressor which is placed between the battery and the amp. I'm thinking of buying a second one and installing it in series to see if it can filter out what gets past the first one. The first one does a good job, without it the noise is hell, with it, there is only a little noise left. I'm thinking the second one may help and at worst it couldn't hurt.

UPDATE:
I just ordered one of these and will wire it in series... darn thing cost more to ship then to buy!

http://www.westcoastmall.net/shop/product_info.php?products_id=386

Mike C

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.