Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello all again. I'm guessing the voltage regulator is under the fake gas tank. Is there anyway to replace the regulator without taking the fake tank apart, and how does the fake tank come apart? I'm now having a charging problem with my bike and need to get it figured out quick. Just about got stranded yesterday50 miles from home. I was glad to have my buddy and a set of jumper cables with us. I pulled fuses that I didn't absolutly need and only needed to jump/charge the battery a few times before we finally made it home.

Anyhow, I'm curious as to how to get this fake tank taken apart.

Thanks in advance to all who help me out once again.

·
Premium Member
1985 GL1200 Limited Edition
3,486 Posts
imported post

It's fairly easy and yes it's located under the fake tank on the left side. First remove the seat to expose the two rear side bolts and then the left and right storage pockets in the top front fairing so's you can get to the front two bolt's. Remove all 4 bolts and then unplug all 4 connectors to the Travel Computer. Pick the rear of the fake tank up slightlythen slide it to the rear and up..That should do it!!

·
Bruce County Boy/Snowbird
1,707 Posts
imported post

I had problems with my voltage regulator on my LTD, way back when. It was not getting cooled enough. We changed the location to mount it under the headlight at the front and mounted it on an aluminum plate to disappate the heat.

Worked great and problem was solved.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
I never figured the R/R could be moved but I guess its not a big deal. I just picked up another LTD and am checking wires. Took of the false tank. Uh Oh... Where is the R/R? Found it hiding behind the lower left side body work. Now to see how that was done. Just had the bike a few days now. New battery, 3000 RPM, not ever over 13.3, battery too. Poked the yellow wires in the battery area with multimeter set on DC 20, read 6.2 each wire. They have been hard wired. First glance at the R/R wires, no evidence of burnt wires. Lots of wires joined together, some going no where. A toggle switch not hooked up to anything, a loose green not hooked up to anything. I will have to trace these.
I get loads of info on these forums, a great help to me as I am not up to speed as I should be. Thanks all

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,195 Posts
I never figured the R/R could be moved but I guess its not a big deal. I just picked up another LTD and am checking wires. Took of the false tank. Uh Oh... Where is the R/R? Found it hiding behind the lower left side body work.
Some folks moved the R/R to a different spot to make it more accessible and/or to get it into an area where it would get more airflow.

Heat is the demigod to the R/R because if the electrical load is light, and the engine speed is high, then the R/R has to absorb all of the extra power from the stator. This is when the R/R will be the hottest as Stators always put out maximum power relative to RPM.

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
do not depend on the ltd's voltmeter to observe voltage unless you have verified it at the battery with a multimeter,they are famous for being 1-2 volts off

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.