Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Is there any advantage to installing a voltmeter on my 84 ASP?

Anyone know where I could download info on installing one?

I've done a lot of work on my bike but have done very little electrical work.

Thanks, this is a great site!!!!!!!!!

Grant

·
Premium Member
4,040 Posts
imported post

How's not walking home sound.

Goldwing electrical charging systems fail regularly and the only way to keep an eye on it is with a volt gauge No charge means long walk if away.

I installed a Honda gauge but I am getting a digital one for faster and more accurate monitoring

Neil

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
imported post

I installed one on my 86 months ago and just put one on my uncles 84 a few weeks back. I cut a 2in hole on the right fairing cover and mounted it there. We both had stator problems and wish I would have known of the Alt conversion. I just picked up a guage at Auto Zone for about 20 bucks. On the last one we just used the cig lighter wires :)

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

Newfiewinger wrote:
Is there any advantage to installing a voltmeter on my 84 ASP?
Grant, yes, there's a big advantage to having an operational voltmeter on the older Wings.. Those older Wings are prone to electrical malfunctions (especially charging related) so having a voltmeter in plain sight can give you early warning of an electrical issue & allow you time to get to a safe pull over or repair facility before it quits completely. A voltmeter in many cases can allow you to see electrical issues as they start to effect your bike so you can address those before they they become costly or destructive.

Personally I wouldn't have an early Wing without a functioning voltmeter.

As far as downloading installation instructions- here is a basic install set-up http://kuryakyn.com/documents/installation/4219-22HD-0503.pdf

Almost every voltmeter installs differently. Personally I use an analog meter that is mounted on the L/H handle bar & is wired directly to the battery through a micro relay that is controlled with ign switch power.

For a quick installation, all you need to do is get the voltmeter, mount it (that is the problem area on an older Wing) then ground one wire from the voltmeter, then hook the other voltmeter wire to the fuse box's accessory terminal (it's that easy). For a more accurate reading wiring directly to the battery is best but that takes some electrical knowledge to pull off.

Kuryakyn-http://kuryakyn.com/products.asp?bn=Honda&ci=2302 has a decent easy to mount voltmeter that should work out rather nicely on the older Wing.

Twisty

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
imported post

Hey, Grant...

If you do a search for "voltmeter" on this great site, you'll catch quite a bit of discussion and helpful information. I bought a Honda analog gauge through eBay and installed in on the bottom right hand side of the fairing on my 1984 Aspencade. Very simple installation and it works like a charm. Even looks like a professional install. I can now monitor the charging which is very useful on our 1200's.

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
imported post

After having severe charging issues with an old Suzuki GS 750 years ago, I installed Kuryakn LED voltmeters on all my bikes! $35 through Texas wings things and it is fairly easy to install. It gets brighter during the day and darker at night due to a light sensor built in. Just remember, don't hook it up to your running lights like i did on my 1200. It will shut off every time you turn on the blinkers.

·
Premium Member
4,040 Posts
imported post

by some weird fluke or Karma My stator failed today I would not have know without the voltmeter :X:X:X:X:X:X:X:X:X:X:X

@#$^&$#&^#stators It measures open across 2 legs so its gone for sure

Only discussion now is whether to replace it or put in alternator conversion. Some one expressed concern about the bikes balance with the alternator hanging out there

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
imported post

The alternator isn't really hanging off the engine so balance wouldn't be a worry in my book. I mean, the starter motor weighs as much and it's on the left side and doesn't cause balance problems. Different story if the alternotor was well clear of the engine perhaps.

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Thanks for all the advice, I am putting one on this week.

Cheers

Grant

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.